Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a Stereo into a VN - VS

PerceptionTwin

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
'94 VR UTE
any hints for someone who wants to install a deck in the lower section of the dash.. where the pocket is. underneath the stock HU and ABS thingy

am planning on gettin a 7" indash screen soon and want to put it above the HU

pics from anyone who has done this would be cool..

sparra_gump

VP DRIVER
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive 3.8 sedan
Anyone know where the black lead would earth on a 93 VP??? i think my earth lead is loose.

seabs

Reaction score
Website
seabrook.homemail.com.au
Members Ride
Gen F R8 SV
Darren said:
Running down the side of the console heading back toward the firewall you will find a plastic clip down near the foot rest which needs unclipping using a small flathead screwdriver.

Before unclipping it, it might pay to mark it in someway ie liquid paper so you get it in the right spot when you put it back together.
thanks heaps maet! solved my problem!

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
Darren said:
Look behind the plastic cover which sits just in front of the firewall on the drivers side and you will see a metal rod with a thread on it attached to a plastic clip holding the rod, place a small flathead screwdriver at the top and prise plastic tab towards the right of the car which should enable you to remove the rod with ease. Also keep in mind there is a copper pipe there, if the car has been running this will be hot and believe me it does burn as I have found out a number of times.

I must be stupid - I still cant get this... Just so I know i'm 'prising' the right thing, the threaded rod connects to one clip (small), which then clips onto and pivots on a bigger white bracket thing. I'm trying to get the small one off so the heater controls can be removed, right? :unsure:

How is it clipped in? can i push on the back with something and it will pop out? thats what i've been trying... Thanks a lot for the guide, its v helpful!!

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
Anyone else who cant do it - do not try to disconnect the small white clip. it hinges in the middle. You just need to open it from the top, and it "folds down" towards to floor

D

darth_tempust

my mate and i installed a sony CDX-S010C cd player into a VS series II exec using the guides from this site and it works great.

and if anyone wants to know, the VS series II exec uses small spade type plugs or u can do what we did and chop it off and give it new plugs.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
i was just wondering if its safe to rip out my stock h u. without the security code? there isnt any tie with the imobiliser is there. i just thought it stops u from being able to re-use the original h u. but sumone told me that if i take it out my car wont start or sum **** can sumone just gimme a heads up on that. thanx heaps

V

VSCalais3.8L

Vs Calais Stereo

kinkbike_rider said:
Nope, i pulled my stock h/u out of my vr calais. no problems whatsoever
Hiya, i tried to get the centre console to slide back (so i could get to the three screws at the bottom of the fascia) but it wont budge (undid screws in centre console box first, moved shifter back and disconnected wires and alike and tried lifting and pulling, lifts but wont go towards the back of the car, even with a bit of brutality, lol ;p). Cannot just take ashtray out and prise panel up because a trim panel fitted to my calais covers this whole section... just wondering how to manage to get to the screws at the bottom of the fascia???? Anyone??