Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

James Deans 'Little Bastard'

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dean said:
The curse of "Little Bastard"
Since Dean's death, his Porsche 550 Spyder has been infamous as being the vehicle that killed not only him, but for injuring and killing several others in the years following his death.

Over the years, many people have come to believe that the actor's vehicle and all of its parts were cursed. Legendary Hot Rodder George Barris bought the wreck for $2,500, only to have it slip off its trailer and break a mechanic's leg.

Soon afterwards, Barris sold the engine and drive-train to physicians Troy McHenry and William Eschrid respectively. While racing against each other, the former would be killed instantly when his vehicle spun out of control and crashed into a tree, while the latter would be seriously injured when his vehicle rolled over while going into a curve.

Barris later sold two tires, which malfunctioned as well. The tires, which were unharmed in Dean's accident, blew up simultaneously causing the buyer's automobile to go off the road.

Two young would-be thieves were injured while attempting to steal parts from the car. One tried to steal the steering wheel from the Porsche; his arm ripped open on a piece of jagged metal. Later, another man was injured while trying to steal the bloodstained front seat. This would be the final straw for Barris, who decided to store "Little Bastard" away, but was quickly persuaded by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) to loan the wrecked car in a highway safety exhibit.

The first exhibit from the CHP featuring the car ended unsuccessfully, as the garage storing the Spyder went up in flames, destroying everything except the car itself, which suffered almost no damage whatsoever from the fire. The second display, at a Sacramento High School, ended when the car fell, breaking a student's hip. "Little Bastard" also found itself causing trouble while being transported several times. On its way to Salinas, the truck containing the vehicle lost control, causing the driver to fall out, only to be crushed by the Porsche after it fell off the back. On two separate occasions, once on a freeway and again in Oregon, the car came off other trucks, although no injuries were reported, another vehicle's windshield was shattered in Oregon.

It was last used in a CHP exhibit was in 1959. In 1960, when being returned to George Barris in Los Angeles, California, the car mysteriously vanished. It has not been seen since.

I saw this in People mag today and decided to read into it a little more. I think you will find it as interesting as i did :thumbsup:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Because I said haha, sounds bloody cursed if it is true though. Sounds highly unlikely but yeah.. whoa

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Sounds like my car:p

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
Ghost Car?

Reminds me of one of the Simpsons episodes:

Wiggum: Oh my god, it just disappeared! <gasp> It's a GHOST CAR! <slams on brakes> There are ghost cars all over these highways you know!
Homer: Hold me!
Wiggum: Only if you hold me!

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
wikipedia is a rather reliable source, i doubt it would be crap

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong...

Anyone can add anything to wikipedia.

It's not a reliable source at all really...

I dont reckon its true, but hey, sounds pretty cool :p

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong...

Anyone can add anything to wikipedia.

But anyone and everyone can also correct anything that is wrong? In theory it should be accurate but the reality of it is that it's full of opinions sometimes

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
It SHOULD be correct, but universities dont allow it as a referrance because there is no way of knowing that the information that has been added is accurate or just a guess...

Also in this case, who would know :p

And sorry about all the 'wrong's' :p I've just had it drummed into my head, never use wikipedia

Last edited: