Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Some coal is "cleaner" than other coal but no form of coal is clean. Nothing to do with leftie bullshit. When you burn coal you create a lot of pollutants even the most efficient grades of coal.

It's not just the coal, but the power plant having systems to recover heat, sort of like a 5 stroke engine, or those delayed stroke engines.
Also there is carbon scrubbers that help take out the larger particulates, sort of like a DPF.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
It's not just the coal, but the power plant having systems to recover heat, sort of like a 5 stroke engine, or those delayed stroke engines.
Also there is carbon scrubbers that help take out the larger particulates, sort of like a DPF.

But fundamentally, while it is possible to ’clean out’ the particulates, burning fossil fuels releases CO2 - which is why they are on the nose.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
But fundamentally, while it is possible to ’clean out’ the particulates, burning fossil fuels releases CO2 - which is why they are on the nose.

Fossil fuel is going to be burnt for the next 100 years, maybe longer.

So do you think it's wise to make methods of making it "cleaner" or just put your head in the sand and do nothing?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Fossil fuel is going to be burnt for the next 100 years, maybe longer.

So do you think it's wise to make methods of making it "cleaner" or just put your head in the sand and do nothing?

It certainly won’t be burnt for the ‘next 100 years’. Open your eyes and see where all the technology is going. No one in their right mind would invest in any fossil fuel generation - which is why they are really struggling. Only the LNP (and it’s mostly the ‘N’) that is proposing new coal, gas, or nuclear - the first two just don’t cut in in a ‘net zero‘ world, and the latter is very expensive no matter how you slice it and dice it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Whilst it is possible to reduce the pollutants from burning coal you will never eliminate them all and all those systems cost money which reduces the cost efficiency of burning coal in the first place.

No matter how we look at it, coal is the worst of the hydrocarbon energy sources we can use.

Natural gas should be the " in between stop" on our way to zero carbon.

I honestly don't see us getting to zero carbon any time soon but there are certainly better or worse options on the journey.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Oi leave coal alone lol, I do mine design work for two mines that pump out a combined 26 million tons a year of this glorious thermal stuff. It's basically funded my house, cars and retirement fund hah. As long as the industry survives until I retire, that's all I care about.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Oi leave coal alone lol, I do mine design work for two mines that pump out a combined 26 million tons a year of this glorious thermal stuff. It's basically funded my house, cars and retirement fund hah. As long as the industry survives until I retire, that's all I care about.

Mr 26 is currently working at a coal mine in Northern Queensland .....

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Mr 26 is currently working at a coal mine in Northern Queensland .....
They are two clients I have. I freelance which is like prostituting my skills to the highest bidder.