Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

just got my blown head fixed......

P007

Reaction score
head gasket kicked the bucket last friday.. car was at the mechanic until yesterday.. i got it back and the car was driving better than it has been in ages (which i guess means the head has been cracked for a while and just **** itself last week)

anyway.. i've driven the car about 35k's is i got it back.. all slow, and it was driving sweet, but this evening i went to take the car out and it was idling rough as hell. it feels almost like it did before the gasket stuffed up last week, except not completely as rough.

I checked the radiator to make sure there was water (it was full), then i noticed a cable was unplugged. It runs into the bottom of a cylinder shaped like a pen, to the right of the radiator cap.. could this have anything to do with it?

also checked the oil cap.. it was creamier than tub of yoghurt.. and there were threads of some sort in it?? but im guessing all that could be stuck on there from before..

could that unplugged cable have caused any of this, or are we looking at the same sh!t all over again.....

thoughts?

lumina01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SSV UTE

told the mechanic yet?
take it back first thing in the morn.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Yeah, sometimes its left over gunk in the system. But he should have flushed it and it would have collected in only 35ks. You should have warranty for it at least this soon. Now the threads, what to you mean ? It is like brown stuff ? Could be radiator sealer/capsules. More info thanks.....

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
did the put new oil in??
maybe they didnt bleed the cooling system and just blew another headgasket

blownba

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe a V^ needed the head gasket done in the first place. I have only once done a cracked head on any Commo V6 in my 16 years as a mechanic.
But I do a HELL OF ALOT of intake manifold gaskets as this is more often than not where they leak and let water into the oil and oil into the water.
The commo V6 doesnt suffer from head gasket problems too often. It is usally misdiagnosed by many mechanics.

Pimpn1

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
what would cause water to go from radiator through exhaust system and not leave oil in water or water in oil just curious as i know someone who has this problem and was told head or head gasket

to o.p has the car been back to the mechanic who fixed it, if so what do they think the problem is with your car

south21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Same thing happened to me and it was the manifold gasket, tell tale signs are excess steam out of exhaust first couple of ks and sometimes when the water gets in the cylinder it's hard to crank over (like flat battery)

regards

keith

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
what would cause water to go from radiator through exhaust system and not leave oil in water or water in oil just curious as i know someone who has this problem and was told head or head gasket

to o.p has the car been back to the mechanic who fixed it, if so what do they think the problem is with your car

If a head gasket leaks near a head water port then the exhaust gases can get pumped into the cooling system every time the cylinder fires. After the cylinder has fired and sent hot gases into the coolant causing the coolant to boil, the coolant builds up pressure like a kettle, then as the piston goes down again the built up pressure in the cooling system squirts coolant back into the hot cylinder and creates steam that escapes and condenses in the exhaust on the next exhaust stroke. That is the water you see coming out the exhaust.

Last edited: