Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Learner's Fudging Log Books

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
Honestly I cant wait to see australia bring in rules like in germany, no parents friends or family teaching punks how to drive.
The sooner there is proper education on driver training the better for everybody, I remember how much training I put into getting my open class bike license and my truck license, if you had to put that much effort into getting behind the wheel of a car things would be better.

I may be a little bit jaded in this as i was almost killed by a P plater though
####ing P plate drivers :p

B-roca

I’m an F-18, bro
Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
They really do need to make it more difficult and honestly someone has to sort out these asian drivers because they have (not all of them) have the driving ability of a drunk driver on the motoway following a BMW X5 full of bags and it is swerving all across the two lanes go to overtake him and had to slam on the brakes as he nearly swerved into my door with his wife and his kids in the back.. saw another case of this more recently in the suburbs an asian driver driving rediculously close to the curb he would eratically swerve for parked cars then come right back in close to the curb..

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
What most young people don't understand is that having a car licence is a privilege not a right. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not one of these people.
I filled in 130 hours and I got some driver training. I thought I was an ok driver but after talking to the guy that took me on the lesson I realised I had
so much more to learn, so I payed for 6 hours of proper training, and I learned more in those 6 hours than I had in the previous 130, I still want to do
a defensive driving course so I can learn to control my car better.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
The changes in talk at the moment have friends/family etc banned from teaching driving and only recognised trainers teaching. Faster it comes int he better.

Totally agree with this. I have been driving for 30 odd years now, got my licence handed to me after driving the local cop down the road to the Post Office, he jumped out and picked up the mail, I did a u turn and drove him back to the cop shop.

When my boys got their respective learners I had them take professional driving lessons but topped up their driving log book hours by going out in the car with them. I thought I was teaching them correct rules as per my years of experience. Turns out I was incorrect with a few changes over the years with rules combined with my bad driving habits and was causing them to stress as they were getting conflicting advice from me and their Instructor. I ended up going out for a few lessons with them in the back seat and it opened my eyes as to how bad it could have been potentially if I had taught them from go to woah. Therefore I fully support only trained and qualified people teaching others to drive.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Ive legit done about 400 hours on my L's since March 2010, It can be done, I mean you dont have to do the 120 in the first two months like i did, But why fudge them, it is easily done

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
I got my L's in VIC the day I turned 16.... was always massively passionate about cars & driving :p

first drive was out on main roads in the dark + rain when dad got home from work lol - in hindsight, probably wasn't the safest decision on his part.....

Anyways - thanks to mum and dad I got to drive heaps - drove to/from school, shopping, friend's houses, snow, interstate, etc..

My older bro let me drive his cars a few times - which was heaps of fun, and very.... 'educational'.

Flew to NSW to get my P's @ 17, and they had that rubbish logbook system. They wouldn't let me get my P's till i showed them the log book with (whatever amount) of hours....- so I got a book and sat there in the waiting area filling in the book with trips until I had enough...... and *preso* P's! - They couldn't have cared less whether the hours were real or not.

I don't agree with parents/friends etc being banned from teaching learners. Every instructor I've ever sat in the car with has been a senile old man who can teach you to look in a mirror at the right time and come to a 'complete stop' at a stop sign to pass the license test. They don't teach you how to "drive".

Having said that, I understand that some people struggle to drive properly themselves, let alone teach someone else... I've got friends who didn't get much experience on their L's because their mum was afraid of driving at night.... (tee-hee)

Anyway - dodgy driver training could be picked up better and more intense driver testing.

Make the test a lot more involved than a simple drive around the block, followed by a reverse park.

Fudged hours in your logbook aren't going to help you when you need ABILITY to pass a driving test :)

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I don't think it should be the full 120 hours with an instructor... Maybe 10-20 just to smooth out and correct any flaws in driving. I did two lessons with an instructor and he told me I was ready (manual) prior to that it was my parents.

My dad took me to an empty industrial area a few nights with massive roads and empty car parks and let me swing the vehicle around and gain an understanding of how she handles. This imo is much more important then knowing how to reverse park.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
i think the best thing about the german system is that encourages young drivers to drive newer and safer cars... modern cars are getting more and more safety features to help prevent crashes and more and more airbags to limit damage if a crash does happen... older drivers in aus generally have either more money and/or are possibly better drivers so their less likely to crash even if they are in an older car and they can generally afford better cars as well... put a p-plater in a vl and if he hits a pole hes only got a nice solid metal door to protect him and usually thats what kills him

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Following your recent thread, I think you are a high risk for falling into this category (being 2.5 times more likely to have a fatal accident) as you admit you can't control your stock car.
seriously?????
what i said got misinterpreted.... nuff said