Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Learner's Fudging Log Books

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
I always enjoy these threads, especially when money comes into the equation. I bet if tomorrow the government came out and said "we're going to start charging $3000 for open license holders" 90% of the people demanding all of these changes would be bitching their arses off all the way to the RTA.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i guess if we had a better public transport system, we wouldnt need a car to do everything.
does the $20,000 aud or whatever for the danish drivers licence go into advanced driver training and so on. or to the government?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Untill they bring in the German style of driver training where Mum and Dad are not allowed to train you and you must have all your hours supervised by a licensed instructor people will bullshit their hours.

I'm German but live in Perth.
It's ridiculous how expensive and long their learners are. like you said they can't get their parents to do their hours. + they've gotta sit their test in summer and winter? so I think. because of the complete different road conditions.

Also another point, in Germany they have certain colours for how old your car is..... your car can't be older than a certain age or it can't registered. Which helps with the safety issue beforehand. for example car can't be older than 10yrs or something.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
I do agree with one point made in here, for them to bring in high cost licensing the public transport system needs to be a viable alternative. It isnt.
spot on
youd cripple the economy if you made it $20,000 cause people who lived in a rural area would be screwed... that and im geussing it would cost closer to $50,000 for a truck licence

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Well im pretty sure in Germany is was more around 5000 AUD. But even still, you do that to the average person they wont be driving. When most people have to commute 40 minutes give or take and the public transport is as bad as it is in this country youre going to be left with a lot of people who cannot work in the CBD's.

While there will be the odd person who says "tough **** get a better job" or something along those lines, you cant give people their licenses for 100 bucks for the last how many years, then all of a sudden say guess what guys! Were increasing the cost of licensing by 5000%

I dont know what the answer is, either way the system needs an overhaul and people wont be happy. I dont think charing people 5 or 10 thousand for a license is the right way to go about it. Rigorous testing through defensive driving courses on skid pans etc, refresher courses and perhaps mild testing every 5 years and every 2 years for people over say 60. If you lose your license you must go through the entire testing process. Making it hard to get your license - not expensive (defensive courses dont cost much and perhaps have a system where 50% of your logged hours must be done by a licensed instructor ie 60 hours) and making it even harder to get it back if you lose it I think is the way to go.

Pair that up with actual policing rather than revenue raising through speeding tickets. Actually acting on bad driving, not indicating, tailgating, driving in the wrong lane etc etc.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Frankly I think our current licensing system is too expensive, for what you get out of it... If that $5000 included skid pad training and the like I can see how it would be worth it.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Frankly I think our current licensing system is too expensive, for what you get out of it... If that $5000 included skid pad training and the like I can see how it would be worth it.

Our current licensing system is about 200 dollars total. Then you tack on whatever costs you encounter with instructors. Which is pretty dirt cheap. Sure you dont get much out of it and it shows with the standard of drivers.

The cost of 5000 dollars (or whatever cost) that people keep talking about covers a few things. The bulk of it is simply instructors. In some European countries you MUST hire an instructor, it also covers things that you would call a defensive driving course.

Defensive driver courses arent much, couple of hundred bucks and you get a fair bit out of it, tack that onto the standard drivers test and its still pretty cost effective as well as providing good training. If you cannot handle a car spinning out in the wet, you fail the test simple.

I just did a search for driving instructors and the first site i pulled up charges 260 bucks for 5 hours of training. 60 hours is ~3000 bucks. So I mean over 2 years, having 50% of your driver training done by a professional still isn't that expensive for a 16-18 year old with a after school job.

So lets say our new licensing scheme has a baseline pricetag of ~3500-4000 bucks. Over 2 years that isnt much, its stricker (having everyday drivers pass a defensive driver course would be funny :p) than the current system where you do a 15 minute drive around the block, 1 parking test and away you go with you fancy new license.

...and if you add the the proviso that every X years you go back and do a refresher defensive driving course at a couple of hundred bucks it keeps it in their memory.

Then if you lose your license you are sent back to being, essentially, an L plater. Make them do the retesting process again which would be a hell of an incentive not to lose your 12 points.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I thought Germany's licence costed ~$2000 Euro which equates to $2770AUD (XE Currency).
I'll double check with my parents tho, see em tomorow. I'll let yas know just for the heck of it.
I think professional training is better in some cases, but heck when I did my couple lessons with an instructor he made me nervous aye! Could imagine it being nerve racking for some girls... with parents & friends it'd be more relaxing (but learning from my parents was like learning by myself lol.... they weren't up with the latest rules)