Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Learner's Fudging Log Books

jonesy-88

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr-vs-vn-vp
i work fulltime as a apprentice diesel mech and im 16,ive done like 80hrs in the book since mid feb this year and only drive 48km's a day and probs done alot more then that that i havent written in the logbook,but i serviced most of a onsite vehicles since i started learnt all roadworthy aspects of them and pretty much tought my self clutch control at work,i can back our 2 big tandems we have with ease and drive around with them easy.i can back a large tractor with a front end loader and baler on the back pretty good and when i turn 18 i wont be bloody doing burnouts and stupid crap,ill be hoping/helping to do onsite breakdowns at the 1am and if the government bring in some stupid law that says it cost 5grand to get your license ill be telling my boss he can for it,sorry if this sounds like a useless thread but its opened my eyes to how much im gunna need my license when im 18 and all the different vehicles i get to drive at work are helping me with experience in different weather conditions and how to properly control the vehicle properly.
stupid rant over haha.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
they weren't up with the latest rules)

Damn straight there not, was told heaps of things by my folks and had to ague they were wrong lol then showed them.
I respect my license, I need it to much to be a dick on the road, loose it, i loose everything, job, home, car, everything! cause i cant get to work any other way, so i stick to the rules on everything, Even the whole indicate when leaving roundabouts that no one ever does in NSW lol

sheepz

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SV6 manual
Most drivers seem to forget it. I almost get cleaned up by asians in camry's, old folks in camrys's. Mum's in 4wd's a lot more than Mr P Plater in a Commodore.

Couldn't agree with you anymore.

I've noticed in the last year since i've been working all over Vic driving at different times, most crashes or close calls aren't from P platers they're are actually driving a lot slower compared to whn i was a P plater 2 years ago.
Most near crashes i've been in (i had drilled in me, treat everyother driver like a d***head) is from mums people chopping lanes with barely any room, tailgating even in peak hour etc. I think a lot of it comes down to the level concentration... I mean i still speed every now and again, yet when ever i drive my concentration is 90% on the road and 10% what the dumbarses around me are doing.

nf_vrII

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Ford AU II Falcon
I think the hour system is a load of s**t. Its not the hours that count, It's Experience. I had my L's for nearly 3 years (dec 06 to August 09) Done quite alot of hours in those 3 years (Approx 200 Didn't even log most of them because I ended up running out of room in my log book) and I went for my P's when I felt confident enough. I also did about 10 lessons with a professional instructor (an hour each lesson).

I went for the Red P's test (Took me 5 go's to get my Red's, bit embarrassing to admit) but I think it was a good thing. The RTA Instructor would give me my score sheet of what I passed and failed on. So within that time with the professional instructor, we worked on those failures and practiced them until I got them right. Some of those failures were also caused with Nerves & Anxiety (as I'm a sufferer of moderate anxiety...even though thats no excuse). Now I'm on my Greens. The driving instructor and the fail tests helped me alot with my knowledge of the road rules and it was a good experience and I'm glad I did it.

I believe it should be mandatory to have at least 5-10 professional driving lessons before moving to your P's and that Learners permit should be held for at least a year/year and a half. None of this hour bulls**t. Those driving lessons were $50 a lesson and it was the best money I've ever spent. It's really worth it. Hell I'm even thinking about doing a defense driving course when I'm more financial just to gain more experience and more knowledge.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Experience is a difficult thing to gauge though. I've spent most of my life driving in Rural area's, I hate driving in cities. Its a totally different deal. But I can drive for hours down a straight bit of road and not find it hard to concentrate or get tired, where as I know allot of people who live in the city who have trouble driving for more then a couple of hours.

That's the biggest issue when driving.

lepht93

Well, you're wrong.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
Im currently 40ish out of 120 and have 11 months til i can take the Ps test. I dont fake entries, i stretch the truth. My dad thinks 120 hours in completely unecessary, take the test when you think youre ready and the Victoads person should make the test intensive enough to make that decision, after all isnt that their job?. Although my entries are a bit longer than what they are, my dad wants me to do a defensive driving course as soon as i get my Ps. I think 120 hours isnt necessary, and P Platers are still having as many accidents by ratio than when there was only 50 required.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Experience is a difficult thing to gauge though. I've spent most of my life driving in Rural area's, I hate driving in cities. Its a totally different deal. But I can drive for hours down a straight bit of road and not find it hard to concentrate or get tired, where as I know allot of people who live in the city who have trouble driving for more then a couple of hours.

That's the biggest issue when driving.

Same Soop, Open road i can just drive and drive non stop, yet in city traffic when im in brisbane its just scary, i hate it so much

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Brissy isn't too bad, Sydney is a joke and Melbourne is pretty good, so long as you keep up with traffic.