Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Locked Steering Column

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
As information to all, I would like to advise of a solution today. My VX 2 is now mobile again. I engaged Macarthur Locksmiths of Campbelltown in South West Sydney to come out to my house and extract to damaged ignition barrel and replace it and re key it. A very experience gentleman came out and did just that. He had a few struggles getting it out, had to resort to plan B and C. I can definitely recommend this business to anyone in South West Sydney who suffered a Commodore ignition key failure / lock up. In this day of high ( maybe hyper ) inflation, the cost was reasonable.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I have had this happen.
Just try and try and jiggle and jiggle it will eventually open.
Once open pull the barrel.

What happens is the sliders get worn and lock it up, a new set of sliders and a fresh blade sort the issue.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
As information to all, I would like to advise of a solution today. My VX 2 is now mobile again. I engaged Macarthur Locksmiths of Campbelltown in South West Sydney to come out to my house and extract to damaged ignition barrel and replace it and re key it. A very experience gentleman came out and did just that. He had a few struggles getting it out, had to resort to plan B and C. I can definitely recommend this business to anyone in South West Sydney who suffered a Commodore ignition key failure / lock up. In this day of high ( maybe hyper ) inflation, the cost was reasonable.

I have dealt with this, my mate works for a car key place, Auto elec by trade, we used to do roadside for the same company, he is a mean pick better than me.

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
I have had this happen.
Just try and try and jiggle and jiggle it will eventually open.
Once open pull the barrel.

What happens is the sliders get worn and lock it up, a new set of sliders and a fresh blade sort the issue.
This is exactly what the diagnosis was when the locksmith finally got the barrel out. Badly worn sliders. The wash up was, over Xmas new year, my Commodore was off the road for 20 days. During this period I tried every method advised on the Net / this forum and I could not get the key to turn.
If you cannot get the key to turn to the accessories position, you cannot release the barrel via the small pin hole. I did ask the locksmith if he ever encountered a Commodore problem like mine that he could not get out. He said he has and had to end up drilling the key tumbler module out !

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
This is exactly what the diagnosis was when the locksmith finally got the barrel out. Badly worn sliders. The wash up was, over Xmas new year, my Commodore was off the road for 20 days. During this period I tried every method advised on the Net / this forum and I could not get the key to turn.
If you cannot get the key to turn to the accessories position, you cannot release the barrel via the small pin hole. I did ask the locksmith if he ever encountered a Commodore problem like mine that he could not get out. He said he has and had to end up drilling the key tumbler module out !
The only one I had to drill out was a wrecking commodore my boss bought from the auctions so I could be messy. I have drilled out other barrels to replace at work where you have to be careful not to hit the alloy housing, but even then you can just buy a used column.