Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for a new exhaust system for my SS

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's all subjective. The most expensive doesn't necessarily mean the best, or the cheapest doesn't mean the worst.

Every brand will have their fan base. The best system is the one you like.

Some systems do have their fitment issues, and some just sound bad. I think we have spoken about the Manta systems before. But I'll quote it again.

2 1/2" quiet cat back $1295 shipped,
2 1/2" medium to loud $1195 shipped.

Full system with 4-1 headers, cats and the 2 1/2" cat back is $2560 shipped for the quiet one or $2460 for the medium.

SSexy-1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SSV Series 2 Ute
Yeah like NAAF said, it's whatever you like,
The main contenders for the best would be Manta, DPE and KPM
The manta website price theirs at about the same as KPM and DPE but NAAF does them a lot cheaper

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
But I'll quote it again.

2 1/2" quiet cat back $1295 shipped,
2 1/2" medium to loud $1195 shipped.

Full system with 4-1 headers, cats and the 2 1/2" cat back is $2560 shipped for the quiet one or $2460 for the medium.

Thanks NAAF. I'm assuming that's mild steel? What about going for a 3" system? And do you know of any forum members in VIC that have a manta system? I wouldn't mind listening to a quiet and medium system to see what they're like.

Thanks again.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I've sent quite a few to Victoria, I'll have to go through my records to see who.

Add $350 for 3". Yes, mild steel.

Can't remember where Grennan is, he has the full Manta system. I think he's in Melbourne.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
I've sent quite a few to Victoria, I'll have to go through my records to see who.

Add $350 for 3". Yes, mild steel.

Can't remember where Grennan is, he has the full Manta system. I think he's in Melbourne.

Thanks NAAF, sent Grennan a PM. If you could let me know if there is anyone else that would be good. I would be keen to see what the quiet and medium sound like.

Is there much difference in sound between the 2.5" and 3"? Any reason why I wouldn't go for a 3"?

Thanks again.

SSexy-1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SSV Series 2 Ute
Thanks NAAF, sent Grennan a PM. If you could let me know if there is anyone else that would be good. I would be keen to see what the quiet and medium sound like.

Is there much difference in sound between the 2.5" and 3"? Any reason why I wouldn't go for a 3"?

Thanks again.

the 3" will be a bit louder and deeper then a 2.5"
but yeah, you need to listen to a system before buying one, theres no point buying a system if you dont like it

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo GXP
Had a Manta exhaust on my VU, my VZ and getting one for my VE soon. Quite liked their systems so far. Underrated by most workshops though it seems.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Workshops tend to shy away from quality systems because they base their sales success on price alone. People will spend more on a decent system if they see the value. Sellers tend to talk up the cheaper exhaust because they can't or won't sell a decent one. Most people tend to judge value on what they would spend. If the guy behind the counter wouldn't spend $1500 on an exhaust, then it makes it very hard for them to sell it to a customer.

3" is deeper and louder than 2 1/2", power wise, 3" will have more top end but very little difference down low. The 3" tends to get very loud once you fit a cam too.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo GXP
Workshops tend to shy away from quality systems because they base their sales success on price alone. People will spend more on a decent system if they see the value. Sellers tend to talk up the cheaper exhaust because they can't or won't sell a decent one. Most people tend to judge value on what they would spend. If the guy behind the counter wouldn't spend $1500 on an exhaust, then it makes it very hard for them to sell it to a customer.

3" is deeper and louder than 2 1/2", power wise, 3" will have more top end but very little difference down low. The 3" tends to get very loud once you fit a cam too.

Makes sense, before I bothered to ask around I always assumed Manta weren't that good because all the workshops tended to go difilipo, pacemaker, etc. But yeah Manta definitely seem to be one of the better ones.