Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for a new exhaust system for my SS

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
What exactly do you mean when you say poppy? As in when you back off the throttle... that crackle/pop etc...?

Nah, it's hard to explain, it's more like a flutter than a pop sound actually come to think of it. Seems to be just an issue with the KPM systems with a cam.

adr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
I was under the impression that the crackle has more to do with the tune, rather than the exhaust itself

Do you have any ground clearance issues with the DiFilippo?
I met a guy a few months ago who has a Difilippo 3inch on his car, tones of trouble with a few different issues.

No problem so far... the lowest part of the exhaust which is the mounting point near the rear muffler is 130mm from ground which is the same height as my front bar which are pretty low on clubby.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Mine's a kpm and i recommend it IF you're not putting in a cam. Their systems sound poppy, if that makes sense, on a cammed car, in 2.5" anyway which is the case on mine.
However they are designing new mufflers as we speak to rectify the problem.
Do we get replacement mufflers? Or do I just keep telling everyone my car sounds **** because it's a KPM exhaust? :rofl2:

HillsBoy44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I have a KPM 2.5" full system and a small cam. I think it sounds great and the quality is brilliant. Worth the money.

David from KPM said the 'pops' can be tuned out or left in at the owner's preference with no difference to the final performance figures.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Do we get replacement mufflers? Or do I just keep telling everyone my car sounds **** because it's a KPM exhaust? :rofl2:

Go the latter, getting anything replaced without parting with your hard earned would be a miracle :)

I have a KPM 2.5" full system and a small cam. I think it sounds great and the quality is brilliant. Worth the money.

David from KPM said the 'pops' can be tuned out or left in at the owner's preference with no difference to the final performance figures.

Is you cam fitted from KPM?
Apparently it's only everyone elses cams that they're having complaints about:rolleyes:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Its a 6 speed non afm, thank god...

Manual or auto?? I have pacemaker on my E3 (manual). Sounds *great* and makes awesome torque with an intake and cam.

Reaper

6LTR UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 ve ss ute
I've got CHE 1 7/8 headers with 100cpi race cats and stainless xforce 2 1/2 inch catback, and it sounds unreal......
Fitted by castle hill performance.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L

It's not just popping. When I first got the car back it sounded like metallic rattles in the rear mufflers. Then my tuner tried to tune it out and pretty much did but now it makes a fluttering noise, like there's a sheet of paper in each muffler fluttering in the wind.

KPM confirmed their mufflers have an issue with certain cams.

HillsBoy44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Go the latter, getting anything replaced without parting with your hard earned would be a miracle :)

Is you cam fitted from KPM?
Apparently it's only everyone elses cams that they're having complaints about:rolleyes:

Yes, mine is a KPM cam.

All my mods (KPM Full 2.5" exhaust, KPM OTR, KPM cam, custom tune, performance lifters, valve springs etc) were also fitted by KPM in Adelaide. IMO it was better to save up and do it all at once at one place with components that were tested to work together in order to minimise problems.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I can do 1 7/8" Hurricane extractors, high flow metal cats and a twin 2 1/2" Manta stainless system with front hotdogs and quad tip rear mufflers. Sounds good and goes really well with no drone.

$3150 shipped for it all, and it bolts up with no cutting or welding.