Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's latest, 955 Triumph Sprint ST

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I have a loose mirror. I don't know if it can be repaired or not. It will need a bush or shim paper. However, I need to try and find one of these clip washer things. Does anyone know what they are called? I hope to try and source one if I can.

20240403_185854.jpg

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
So I have a loose mirror. I don't know if it can be repaired or not. It will need a bush or shim paper. However, I need to try and find one of these clip washer things. Does anyone know what they are called? I hope to try and source one if I can.

View attachment 266264

Starlock or starlock washer?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks @chrisp . Now to find the washer and see if I can have it bushed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So had it looked at by my engineer. He seemed to think he can fix it by fitting a new starlock washer. I have spent over an hour today running around trying to find one the right size and no luck. Nuts & Bolts sold me one too large in the ID and then swapped it for one too small in the OD. Two trips to the engineers and still not sorted. Gonna try a couple more places over the phone. Failing that I may have to wait and get it fixed in three weeks time as I may have to order some online.

Rare Spares might have what I need. These are my last hope of finding one locally I think.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nope, Rare Spares don't have one the right OD, sheesh. My last hope will be Triumph. I will try and get there today.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Nope, Rare Spares don't have one the right OD, sheesh. My last hope will be Triumph. I will try and get there today.

Can you measure the shaft bit that the starlock washer fits to? I suspect that they come in metric and imperial, so it could be useful to know if you are chasing an imperial size or a metric size.

Ebay or Amazon might have assorted kits?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Can you measure the shaft bit that the starlock washer fits to? I suspect that they come in metric and imperial, so it could be useful to know if you are chasing an imperial size or a metric size.

Ebay or Amazon might have assorted kits?
I have the part I need in my eBay list. It's 2mm smaller in the OD than the original. Hopefully that won't be an issue. I just really wanted it fixed today or tomorrow and not at the end of the month.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Took the Sprint 3/4 the way to Town today for a child's birthday, I think it was. Still getting used to riding a bike again. On the way there I was a bit nervous as this is the first time I have ridden a bike on the road to town. On the way back I was a bit more comfortable. Had a chat to a former employee from my work, who has a Triumph Bonneville.

I am slowly getting used to taking off now. I reckon after a few more rides and stop-starts I should get the feel of it a lot more.

Slowly picking up a few things that I want looked at when it goes in for a service. I found dropping into 1st, 2nd on the downshift needed quite a tap on the lever. I've noticed a little slop in the main gear lever shaft. I tightened a bolt that made it slightly better at the engine end but still some slop in the shaft. I'll price up the parts and make a plan to fix it at some point.

Indicators are the first thing I will be rectifying, followed by a full going over at the bike shop. Probably need to save $800-$900 now for that, providing they don't tell me to change the oil and filter as well. Looking online and it seems the worn lever is fairly common and can cause some gear shifting issues.
It sounds like they are quite expensive so I may choose to have mine bushed, rather than buy a whole new unit. I tried to find a price online as a guide but only SH units came up. Seems like there is very little info in the way of prices online for Triumphs, bit like a lot of gen Holden parts, where it can be quite hard to find OEM stock apart from bits & bobs.

One thing I noticed is the mirror is hardly wobbling at all now, after the engineer I use, pressed the starlock washer a bit with his press, which has made a decent improvement. It will be good now to get the new washer and see if that helps even more, which I suspect it will.