Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Out of interest, what is the car you “really want”?

I reckon that’s the one you want to be working towards. The insurance payout could be a great opportunity to take that leap (with a bit of a loan from the bank?).
VU V8, or VZ Maloo, but not interested in getting a loan. We have will have a massive mortgage come July when the new house is finished and I don't want to be a slave to the bank.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'll add I want something with a bit of go in it, so stock Eco won't really do, not after having something that goes reasonably well already. Having my current bus putting out somewhere around 140kw at the tyres, I don't want something that only has 100kw, especially in a VU that weighs more.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I was browsing utes over here again on car sales. One VS2 but it was not as good as your VR. The nice ones from a few days ago have sold.

VE, a few good ones but ~$15000.
VZ was an SV6 ute for $10000. Tidy inside. Needs a detail or at least a buff.

So many VF utes.

Mine shipped Melbourne-Perth was $1000. Guessing to Devon port or Hobart would be about the same.

I’d be happy to take a look at anything in Perth for you.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think realistically Fu I just need to wait and try and save up. Hard at the moment with the new house getting built and finding that we have to pay a whole heap extra now above original quote. Once the extras finished and then the house is complete I can start saving for something decent. Not interested in anything Alloytec and not really wanting Eco either. I want something pretty decent, it took way to long to fix all the dodgy work by PO's on my old bus and I really don't feel like doing that over.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The offer is there if the right car shows up for you.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The offer is there if the right car shows up for you.
Certainly more options on the mainland than we have over here. Good utes for sale are really scarce in Tas, so I'm finding.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I understand the slave to the bank thing as I'm building a house at the moment also. However the Mrs is desperately in need of a newer/larger/safer family car and I'm personally lucky that home builders grant should come through soon. Even with the 25k I am still considering spending a little more with a small loan to get something worthwhile even though I really don't want more debt. I might even consider new but we'll see when it comes though.

It can be really daunting but at the end of the day you could buy a cheap clean ute and it could fall in half like your last one and have you chasing demons for years to come costing you that same extra and more plus the emotionally turmoil.

Think about the hundreds a month you were spending on repairs on the old bus. Factor that into a steady loan repaying with much less likely chance of a random huge payout for a mechanics visit when you least expect it.

No 90s model Commodores are never going to be better no matter how clean they look especially for under 3k. New is usually more reliable. Probably better for your mental state also.

If I've learned anything from this thread it's that you're a man who does what you want but this is my 2 cents anyway.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The above comment is pretty much what I've felt about this scenario as well.

Generally you only get what you pay for and mostly cheap options give you a whole lot of mental stress if you are a person that wants everything to be right and not prepared to accept second best.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agree with the last two posts. I think the plan will be to spend decent money and get something pretty decent, likely a V8. I highly doubt I will borrow money though. I refuse to even get a credit card, Afterpay or interest free. So a car loan is pretty much out of the question. I can bus it for a few months while I save. In the meantime I can sell the VR and get some more money that way too. Think I need to spend around $20k.