Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

loudest commo SEDAN in aus

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Seeing as no one had an answer to the OP's original question, i don't see any harm in going a bit off topic and starting a convo regarding sedan vs wagon. At the very least it will add some useful info to the thread.

I have never competed in SPL events, so i do not have any first hand experience. I was (still am) under the impression that a sedan will be louder than a wagon using the same components. This is based on my knowledge that a sub's main purpose is to move air. The less air it has to move, the more sound pressue it can create. I also think this is why you see a lot of people entering competitions in smaller vehicles, like 3dr hatchbacks.

Ofcourse i could be very wrong. I would like to hear people's thoughts on this, particulary those who have competed in events. I'm always up for learning , and this could be helpful to anyone interested in getting involved in events in the future.

I don't really have anything to add except to say thats the way I understood it as well. I've never been interested enough in SPL to do any proper research though

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
where's shopping sucure or spl dynamics

they can sort this out

it is fact if there is less air to move out of a car the better the sound consentration

i think some ppl are getting mixed up here if it were a seadan in a comp you would want all your amps in the cabin and all the speakers in the boot as there would be less air to move in the boot thus making a very good number in spl

in fact im certain on this as i spoke to shopping secure over the phone when i had a wagon and he said get rid of it and buy a small car but i know a bloke that knows one of the spl dynamics guys now so i dont deal with shopping sucure any more

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore executive
You are correct in say there is more air to move in a wagon.. But more air means more space to put more subs, a wagon only has twice as much air to move (rough guess) while have five times (also a rough guess) as much space to fit out with everything, therefor a sedan to manage the sam db need much much more power and planning, also having to work well with the back seat in the road...
In the end tho i would put them on about par with eachother

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
yea that might be a sensible statement they are equal im happy with that

marcusleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE project. '03 A209 Avantgarde
the difference would be negligible (then again if people are getting a little testy about a poofteenth of a dB then it will surely upset you). fair bit more to acoustic dynamics than the extra few cubes of air you want the sub to send her sexy little vibration through. doof.

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore executive
Yeah its cool, my homeys call me the db doctor..

No they dont :( but they could i knew anything about anythin

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
where's shopping sucure or spl dynamics

they can sort this out

it is fact if there is less air to move out of a car the better the sound consentration

i think some ppl are getting mixed up here if it were a seadan in a comp you would want all your amps in the cabin and all the speakers in the boot as there would be less air to move in the boot thus making a very good number in spl

in fact im certain on this as i spoke to shopping secure over the phone when i had a wagon and he said get rid of it and buy a small car but i know a bloke that knows one of the spl dynamics guys now so i dont deal with shopping sucure any more

To drag it further off topic...I'm sure Joe was kidding about selling your car, unless you want it solely for comp use. He just loves seeing his gear getting used to its full potential.
If you have any problems with your SPL Dynamics guy, feel free to talk turkey with me. No car selling talk, I swear

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
You are correct in say there is more air to move in a wagon.. But more air means more space to put more subs, a wagon only has twice as much air to move (rough guess) while have five times (also a rough guess) as much space to fit out with everything
In the end tho i would put them on about par with eachother

No i meant using the same components. Obviously you can fit more components and larger enclosures into a larger vehicle.

I meant more along the lines, that if you had the exact same components in several different size cars e.g- hatch, sedan, wagon, which of the 3 would best work in your advantage for SPL purposes....

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore executive
Thats true.. But personally i feel most of us would rather spend an extra few thou on setting up a nice commy for spl, instead of looking like an absolute fa##ot with a hyundai excel set up for spl hahaha..
But all this is irrelivant..
"The thread is not asking what car should i use for spl because i am big lazy c### that wants the biggest db number i can afford"
And if half of the effort went into finding OP's answer that has gone into arguing, we wouldnt look like hijackers and OP would be pleased indeed...
P.s. The above is not meant to seem angry :D
I encourage reading it in your best smurf impersination
Anyway...... enjoy.......

Vinnie

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Longdrop- No one was arguing, and there was no effort put in to hi-jacking the thread.

Infact, in the OP's first few post's, he himself even ask's for reasons as to why one vehicle will net numbers easier than another.Like i said i don't see any harm in adding any additional questions if it generates some sort of useful infomation.

If your into SPL, your choice of car dosen't need reflect anything else. It's a sport, interest, hobbie ect, , and it requires amongst other things, money. It's up to the individual which direction that money goes.

I couldn't imagine many people walking around a proper DB contest putting others down about their choice of vehicle, be it a Hyundai or whatever. I don't see how choosing a vehicle that works in your favour can be considered lazy either. (or in your terms, a lazy ####?)

Last edited: