Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Making engine run quieter/smoother, ideas?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
should be able to do it in the car, once all the timing gear, balance shaft gears and bolt are off and retaining plate (may need small 3 jaw puller if the bearing won't move off easily)
99% of the time it's the front bearing making most of the noise, the rear bearing ignores thrust loads and only deals with radial, the front single row ball bearing puts up with thrust loads from the helical cut gears from the engine rpm increasing/decreasing which wears it out. Should get off my butt and change mine in the buick over.... will snap some pics when i'm doing it (if/when i find motivation).

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
hmm if i ever have the timing case off i mite do this bearing as it does sound a bit noiisy lol didnt know it was that easy to do otherwise i would have done it in me old vn as it was a noise ####ing thing haha

any idea how much the bearing would be and can it be purcahse at the bearing shop? or holden?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
shouldn't be much more than $10 from a bearing joint, just need to find someone with an ecotec in pieces that can confirm the number on the bearing or it's dimensions.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi Guys.

I called holden about the following and not very happy :

Fuel Pressure Reg - $200 but no longer i production, any recommended alternatives that work good Repco is $180 pretty expensive for just a reg.

Inlet Manifold O-ring seals -- What I got told don't quote me on this have no idea how accurate it is.... 2 different styles, One piece gasket and separate piecies.

Late Style from engines VH9 to 3178. Single Piece type $14.
Early Style separated piecies.... no longer avaliable.

Balance Shaft Bearing - Part does not exist by itself because it is part of the balance shaft itself, have to replace the whole balance shaft which is $140. Also they mentioned front bearing does not exist only rear bearing does. Very confusing.

I called CBC Bearings they said they don't sell it only Genuine part will have to do they said.
Does anyone have a definately answer on the front balance shaft bearing and where to buy?

Any idea on which inlet manifold O-rings suit my car it's a 1996 VS Series 2.
And how would I go about the Balance shaft replacing the whole shaft with engine in?
Or is the Holden guy wrong from if they don't sell a bearing nobody does?

Last edited:

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
To remove fuel lines:
DO NOT buy some special tool, you can apparently (Refer Gregories book) use a Pen lid, the one that has a metal clip on it, to unclip the flexi lines. But I just use a phillips head bit in my 1/4" spanner (or socket) and unscrew the flexi line from the rail. Just be careful not to damage to O-Ring on the fitting. (lube with fuel on re-install)

CAUTION: Don't forget to de-pressurise the fuel system. (Start engine with Fuel relay removed, wait till engine stalls, crank 1-2 more secs)

WAFFEN SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VS Commodore and 5L VT Clubby
Can allways get an after market fuel reg and fit that, Gasget sets are out there just have to find them but you could probaly reuse yours if you lucky, we have them on the shelf over here, Just take the drive gear off the ballance shaft and dont worry about it but DO leave it in the motor or you will loose oil pressure.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
How much should an engine rebuild cost?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore

how long is a piece of string... how much work has the engine done? how many kms did it travel? was it neglected? how hard was it thrashed? why did it fail and need rebuilding? does it just need new rings and bearings or is the crank, bore and piston worn beyond spec and need further work?

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8

Cost me $2400 to have my L67 fully reconditioned to factory specs. I sent it to HM Engines in Dandenong. But that was a a special price, it would cost a little more to everyone else that just calls up.