Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Making 'Show Off Your Ride' Private

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Being a registered member probably is the best option for a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place , but on a Internet forum you will get the opportunistic people .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Can be done and not such a bad idea, the best way I can think of implementing this is making a sub-section which only registered members can access?

A fair bit of traffic is generated through the 'My Ride' section from what I can see so switching it off site wide could cause some potential problems from a 'rankings' point of view.

ok darren to have the best from both worlds, i dont know if this is possible but making it so the creator of that thread can request a mod/admin to make it private. something similar to 'locking' a thread expect making it people with above X amount of posts can view it.

this way is doesnt kill the google search option but still gives security to those who would like it

DavoVP

Reaction score
But your car(s) is(are) so cool!
Any chance you would reconsider for us all :supersad:

I see what you did there.

But no, I'm a private kinda guy never felt comfortable showing what I own off in such a public manner, Don't get me wrong Ill enter in shows, track days, dyno days etc but I've just never been comfortable sticking it all out for every bogan and his dog to see.

Hence no build threads or show of your ride threads.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
just another partial idea.
have it so as to be able to see the pictures you have to be logged in.

have seen that happen a lot on other forums out there.

easy to read the info and get a good idea of it, but you cannot see any pictures unless logged in, thus requiring to be registered.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I see what you did there.

But no, I'm a private kinda guy never felt comfortable showing what I own off in such a public manner, Don't get me wrong Ill enter in shows, track days, dyno days etc but I've just never been comfortable sticking it all out for every bogan and his dog to see.

Hence no build threads or show of your ride threads.

I do agree with you in some ways. I like how you have no address/city/country listed by your name. it makes you more mysterious.
I try never to post pictures containing number plates. Also avoid suburbs names, towns or identifiable landmarks etc.
TBH I've probably posted too much info if someone were stalking me to steal from me, but I just hope I am home if they try something :boxing:

side note:
I remove my number plates for powercruise/Drag racing etc, more cooling to the front, and a sticker hidden under rear plate for shts and giggles. not that that helps much if someone were smart.

I do like the "no pictures unless logged in" idea. May need to add a minimum tech post count of 20 or so though.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
The no pictures isn't a bad thing but it only works if the images are hosted on JC. Nearly all the images on this forum are hosted on hosting sites such as photobucket etc. and are public anyway, so as far as I'm aware anyway there would be no way of hiding them for non logged in users.

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
Would it be possible to allow the member to select a 'private' option in the 'my ride' section and require a PM request (or minimum thread count) to access? This way all the DD vehicles and people that don't mind, could have their cars visible to all internet searches.

DavoVP

Reaction score
I do agree with you in some ways. I like how you have no address/city/country listed by your name. it makes you more mysterious.
I try never to post pictures containing number plates. Also avoid suburbs names, towns or identifiable landmarks etc.
TBH I've probably posted too much info if someone were stalking me to steal from me, but I just hope I am home if they try something :boxing:

side note:
I remove my number plates for powercruise/Drag racing etc, more cooling to the front, and a sticker hidden under rear plate for shts and giggles. not that that helps much if someone were smart.

I do like the "no pictures unless logged in" idea. May need to add a minimum tech post count of 20 or so though.

There are people on here that know where I live.

I've never considered removing my plates for PC hmm maybe I can get some saying HOON :D My car stands out like dogs balls as soon as I start it, I don't think that ploy will work to well in the privacy department, But hey you don't go to these things to be antisocial after all.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The no pictures isn't a bad thing but it only works if the images are hosted on JC. Nearly all the images on this forum are hosted on hosting sites such as photobucket etc. and are public anyway, so as far as I'm aware anyway there would be no way of hiding them for non logged in users.

Could probably just filter out the /IMG script or something similar.