Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcal socket install

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Oh O, I think I have dug my hole deeper, now with my chip when the key is on position, the fans kick in. So god knows what I have done now. I keep dragging on.
But the car still runs in limp mode though. Runs well if I put my original chip back as in the whole lot. Lucky I had a spare memcal base and knock sensor board to play with.

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
I run my custom chip with no blue cover... I dont think i pushed it all the way in when i soldered the socket

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I have used a mutlimeter to check for continuity from the chip to the outgoing female pins. All good, but no go. Yes checked for shorts between the pins as well. I feel like I would be wasting my time getting another base memcal socket as I can't see anything wrong with it now, but obviously there is. I acutally ran the car without the eprom in, and it runs just like with the chip in, engine light on. So something isn't making contact.
I might just wait until I get my 28 pin ZIF socket in, and that way I can do it properly. As I had to drill the pin holes out on the 28 pin socket to make the PLCC32 to DIP28 socket. I have had a fun day. Having fun though, that's the main thing.

Nothing is ever easy now is it. The amount of time I have spent on this one chip I could have bolted on a supercharger. :whistling

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Jim are you SURE you stacked the binary properly and the image you burnt was 32k in size?

NOGEN 3

Reaction score
Members Ride
jack.mcintyre said:
I run my custom chip with no blue cover... I dont think i pushed it all the way in when i soldered the socket
Thanx again Jack-maybe thats just how it goes? I've got the socket/Eprom as far in as I'm willing 2 push them....

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Yeah it's 32K. I have checked that. I browsed to the input files. Made sure the settings Bin Size: 16K Chip Size: 32L Block Size: 16K. Clicked Stack. It said stacked Successfully.
Burnt the image to chip, it said okay.
I have even taken the image back off the chip went through the tuner pro compared it to the hsv image. All looks good.
I might get another memcal and start all over again. But I will be away next week so I am going to be delayed getting this done, but I am open to any more suggestions as I appreciate your help.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Um have you got the chip plugged in the right way around in the memcal? notch towards the edge of the memcal not facing the knock board?

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Yep, checked all that. I even purposely plugged in the chip backwards just to make sure. I know you shouldn't because normal IC chips blow when you plug them in backwards. I just don't know, that's why I am thinking of starting off with a fresh memcal base and all. But in the past I couldn't even do a diagnostics check on my car by shorting out the a and b pins on the ADL diagnostic plug. Weird..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
NOGEN 3 said:
Thanx again Jack-maybe thats just how it goes? I've got the socket/Eprom as far in as I'm willing 2 push them....

My eproms have a big gap between them and the blue cover with the socket under them, I'm thinking you guys have thicker/taller sockets?

NOGEN 3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I got the part number off of Jack b4 to get from JCar PI6466
(28 pin, machined hole, .6" wide, IC socket).
go figure??
the email mentioned the notch on the eprom. I dont have a knock board(5.0lt non H@SV) but the notch is 2 the outside edge anyway...