Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mikes 96 S2 Caprice

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Hey everyone, just signed up, been a member of a few different forums over the years, and having found so many answers through this site, when I've googled random problems I've had with all my various Holdens, I figured I may as well join up, so here I am. I've had about 11 cars in my 14 years of driving, and all have been holdens.

I recently bought a 1996 Series II Caprice V8.

Model: VS S2 Caprice

Colour: White over Silver

Body kit: None really, except the factory side skirt the statesmans had, think the lip kit came in series 3

Engine Type: Holden 304 5.0L V8

Engine Mods: None by me, just factory CAI

Power: 168kw

Exhaust: Standard Caprice system

Gearbox: Turbo 700

Diff: 3.08 LSD

Brakes: stock

Suspension: stock

Wheels/Tyres: 16" factory Caprice (got a set of VX GTS Rims, but not sure they'll suit the Caprice)

Interior: Stock. Leather and suede

Stereo: Original tape deck and 10 disc CD stacker in the boot

Future mods: Not sure yet, I kind of want to keep it as original as possible, but if I did anything, it's probably just be extractors and maybe a mace memcal.

I got it from a deceased estate. The bloke had it from brand new. It's done 238,000kms, and he kept reciepts for absolutely everything. Every service / repair it's ever had is there. Recently it's had new radiator and thermostat, new water pump, power steering pump, steering rack, all suspension, sway bar and control arm bushes, heaps of other things I can't remember off the top of my head. There was a massive folder, about the size of 2 phone books full of paperwork. Also got 2 boxes full of spare parts, all still wrapped. Head lights, tail lights, spot lights, dash surrounds, rear panel, gear knob, indicators, the list goes on. The car was this guys absolute pride and joy, and he washed and polished it religiously. The paint work is amazing, it's better than my VZ SV8's paint, and it's 10 years older!!

Anyway, here's a few pics, I'll get some better ones another time. Look forward to lurking around the site some more, hopefully not trawling throgh old threads because of constant problems with the old girl.

CP1.jpgCP2.jpgCP3.jpgCP4.jpgCP5.jpg

FORGIVEME

no substitute for cui
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 S3 VS STATESMAN
Very very nice bro allways had a soft spot vof vs statos look after her

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Wow, just wow!

That is mint. very hard to find in that condition. Take care of it.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Cheers guys! Yeah it's in amazing condition, I had a VS BT1 A few months ago, only just sold it, and it was pretty rough, needed a heap of work to get it up to standard. This one has had pretty much everything replaced (except the engine and gearbox) in the last few years, pumps, pulleys, belts, radiator, thermostat, rocker cover gaskets, inlet manifold gasket, brake booster, all the suspension components, bushes, sway bars, control arms, full steering rack, you name it, it's been done.

The owner unfortunately passed away a few months back, and his family was selling it, so they just wanted it gone. I almost feel bad having only paid 5 for it.

What do you guys reckon about VX GTS rims on it?? I can't find any pics of a statesman with the VX's on it, not sure if they'll suit it? I need to get the gutter rash and scuff marks fixed on the rims which is why I got the so cheap. Just not sure if it's worth spending the money on them, if I'm not going to put them on the car.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
absolutely gorgeous!! would love to own this thing. please dont trash her, these are becoming rare now

pity you dont live closer, could have got my old exhuast system im selling from my baby

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
absolutely gorgeous!! would love to own this thing. please dont trash her, these are becoming rare now

pity you dont live closer, could have got my old exhuast system im selling from my baby

Won't be doing that mate, I'm past those days, even when I was younger, I never thrashed my cars, always respected them, and treated them well. I've bought a few thrashed out cars from other people, and it the issues I had with them, just made me even more aware that you need to treat cars right, otherwise you'll kill them.

I don't even really want to modify it at all, I feel like the previous owner took such good care of it, and obviously did his absolute best to keep it as close to brand new as possible, to mess with anything, would be an insult to him.

It drives well enough for me at the moment to not have to try and make it super fast. I've just come from a VZ 6.0L, so I've had my time in a pretty powerful car, and I drive so much peak hour/slow speeds, that I'm happy to have something really comfortable, nice looking, and a nice V8 sound to cruise in, rather than a car that I'm trying to race, or take to the track and do lap or 1/4 mile times.

I'll just enjoy it for what it is, and look after is as best I can!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Great pick up OP.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Quick question. If I was to put the VX GTS rims on, would I need to roll the rear guards to fit them under?? It sits reasonably low at the rear at the moment, not sure if it's been lowered, these didn't come with fe2 or anything, so not sure if it's just the stock height.

I did the tyre/rim comparison online, and it worked out that the overall diametre was actually going to be a 10mm smaller, so in theory, they should fit no drama's ay??? Or is there more to it than that?

I had them on the BT1, and they fit fine, no scraping etc, and that had the stock fe2. But the BT1 had arched guards, whereas the Caprice is straight.

Any of you guys on here with Stato's had to modify your guards to fit 19's??

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Beautiful car man, makes me miss driving mine.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Wow so clean man , makes me miss mine so much .