Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Bad is I have no gears. R or D do nothing and the dashboard indicator stays showing P.

Now I *think* I might know what it is, but not 100%. This which is obv the gear selector...

Screenshot_20240511_181657_Photos.jpg

Was put where I thought it went but think it's at the other end compared to this pic. Only worrying thing is the gear selector clicks when you change from P to R or D... but as I say the dash shows P no matter what I do with the gear stick and I have nothing, it's like it's permanently in neutral.

*if* it's the pic above then I just need to empty fluid and remove pan, adjust and put back. If it's something else then I dunno, but I do know everything def went back as it should.

Hmmmmm...

• Sad
Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Not sure what’s going on but as the transmission is 6L80E where the E stands for electronic control, I’d guess if the selector position switch isn’t being moved, the car stays in park because it thinks it’s still in park even though the lever would have mechanically deselected the locking pawl.

Hopefully it’s as simple as that…

Also double check tans fluid level is correct.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Bad is I have no gears. R or D do nothing and the dashboard indicator stays showing P.

Now I *think* I might know what it is, but not 100%. This which is obv the gear selector...

View attachment 267920

Was put where I thought it went but think it's at the other end compared to this pic. Only worrying thing is the gear selector clicks when you change from P to R or D... but as I say the dash shows P no matter what I do with the gear stick and I have nothing, it's like it's permanently in neutral.

*if* it's the pic above then I just need to empty fluid and remove pan, adjust and put back. If it's something else then I dunno, but I do know everything def went back as it should.

Hmmmmm...

The 6L80e gear selection is fully electronic, so maybe check that every thing is properly plugged back in, and maybe check if there are any error codes being reported? Having said that, I’m not sure what that racket thingo is for, so maybe hit the repair manual before going back in?

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Job for tomorrow?
Yeah deffo. Mother Day so out with the wife and her boys in the morning, but I have the arvo to play. Will do some research tonight.

Big fat plug went in straight away without any wiggle and the locking thing closed without any stress..

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yeah deffo. Mother Day so out with the wife and her boys in the morning, but I have the arvo to play. Will do some research tonight.

Big fat plug went in straight away without any wiggle and the locking thing closed without any stress..
You did connect gear selector arm?

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Yeah I did and it has a dent in it from the bolt so easy enough to line up. First time I put it back last week it wasn't lined up and R went into N etc, but have put it on right definitely.

Oh and I haven't checked levels in TM yet. I threw about 8 or so litres in (all I had) so will get some more tomorrow too.

Please tell me that's the issue lol, but I know it ain't as the time I thought I had oil in and didn't it still went into D, R etc. Maybe I didn't do the nut up from the selector properly, I dunno but will get her up in the air and level to I can be 100% on the oil level..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Now that’d be funny, @HSV-Paul reads message, goes into garage and looks on floor only to see a selector rod hiding in a corner :p:p:p

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
At least on the 4l60e there is a lockout pin that needs to be set in the correct position else it won't let it change, it is rod connected not fully electric. Have a quick squizz online to see if yours has that.

Else it could just be a solenoid plug not fully seated.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
We already know that despite moving the gear selector leaver within the cabin, the TCM thinks its still in P, so that needs to be corrected before considering trans oil levels.

You could use a cheap OBD diag tool and a phone app, to check what position the TCM thinks the selector is in as compared to where it is physically placed but I doubt you’d ge5 more than it’s in Park…

Best drop the pan and check the linkage is correctly connected to the internal position switch ;) with a clean trans case and container, you can catch the fluid and reuse it.

Can also do quick check on detents (which would have been ideal to do while also looking at the plastic rod is moving correctly before putting pan back on)

and another video on how to put the valve body and selector on the transmission

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.