Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New member - VZ Calais

S

StealthCalais

Looks good, I really like that colour in the VZ's. With the HID's i got a two sets of 6000K's (one for low and one for high beams) and I actually managed to squeeze the ballasts in a small cavity beside the battery and down under the airbox on the other side i think. Didnt mount them with screws or anything, just got out some silicone and stuck them on. Worked a treat.

aj1987

05 VZ Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Calais
Thanks Stealth. Still yet to pick the bloody thing up. Think the part must be on backorder or something, nevermind. Dealer said should be Tuesday.
Do you have any pics of your HID install?
Also does anyone know if I can fit 19x8's on a VZ? Will drop to 18x7.5's if I have to but rather not.
Thanks for the comments guys.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Nice pickup and yes 19x8" will fit, that is the std size on my VZ Senator with 245/35x19 tyres and the car doesn't have any body mods to make the wheels fit.
Saying that the tyres do touch the front plastic inner guards but only at full lock and only on a smooth part of the plastic so no danger or damage to tyres or the car.

aj1987

05 VZ Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Calais
Thanks heaps!!! 19x8's it is. Now to pick a style... hmmm... choices choices.
I have heard about the rubbing thing before, but will prb never hit full lock and if it's not damaging the tyre then it should be sweet for the odd touch.
Now to figure out what springs to put in, i want it neat, NOT LOW. Just if i go from a 17" rim to a 19" rim, (add 1" of ground clearance) theory has it, if i drop 1" it should be at STD ride height...? I ask because i want the tyre NOT to be tucked under too much. I don't want to have to put a camber kit on. Will i need a camber kit for 19's do you think?

aj1987

05 VZ Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Calais
Pick her up tomorrow. New pics to follow.....
Also booked in for tint today.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Now to figure out what springs to put in, i want it neat, NOT LOW. Just if i go from a 17" rim to a 19" rim, (add 1" of ground clearance) theory has it, if i drop 1" it should be at STD ride height...? I ask because i want the tyre NOT to be tucked under too much. I don't want to have to put a camber kit on. Will i need a camber kit for 19's do you think?

Its not the ground clearence that people notice but the the gap between the tyres and guards and with 19's that distance is already smaller as 19 x245 tyres are about 10mm taller than 17x235 tyres.
On a VZ you shouldn't need a camber kit unless you go for superlow springs.
The tyres on my car are nearing 35,000klms and the wear is almost perfectly square, with no bad inside wear.

aj1987

05 VZ Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Calais
you will have to excuse my repetitive questions... BUT, isn't 235 and 245 the width of the tyre... not the height?
I was thinking 19x245x35 or go down to 18x245x40.
Ahh this is waaay to confusing for me. Going to give it to the pro's and tell them what i want, if it looks off, they don't get paid :)

From what i have figured out, I'm going for 18x245x40 with King Lows. So it pretty much sits at std ride height and should drop it just enough to sit with an even (std looking) gap between the tyres and guards.... i think.

phatsix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
smooth ride mate, join the club. probs know this by now but im almost certain vz calais has FE 1.5 suspension.

some gloss black rims on this would look sweeeet.
im also thinking of doing a 6000k HID conversion soon.
also if you wanted some stock calais wheels with 80-90% tread ive got some for sale?? haha
keep us posted.

aj1987

05 VZ Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Calais
I might just be interested in those wheels phatsix.... Depends on what the ones on the car are like, as when I signed the deal it had ghey alloys (see above pics) on it and I asked the dealer to swap them back. So the orig's might be dodgy/scratched.
I'll have a look on pickup today and let you know... With updated pic's of course. (They will however be off an iPhone so not great).

Watch this space!

S

StealthCalais

If you want to see what a set of 245/35/19's look like on standard suspension have a look at my car. I don't find the ride height that bad really, but that being said I have been considering getting it lowered a couple of inches to give it a cleaner look, slowly being won over by everyone's photos on here!

As surfwagon mentioned, the 245/35/19 do touch the inner guard on full lock, but its no drama.