Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No key to my lock nuts, solutions?

Wilkesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Cheers guys,
Should be able to do it with one of these solutions,
Dont have a welder myself but if it comes to that my mates a boiler maker.
Bit iffy bout welding that close to my rims though as MAniac said.
There was noway I was paying for the labor to get 'em off thats why I asked here for peoples suggestion on the easiest way.

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
geez if you can use a socket to remove it so much for the porpose of lock-nuts, when they can be removed without the key.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
wtf?

bob jane rattle gunned mine off, for free, and replaced all my lock nuts with normal nuts, for free, 5 minutes.
you're being conned. being conned so badly, it's laughable at the stupidity.

even my dodgy mechanic rattled them off in 5 minutes, dude....
Rattle gunned lock nuts off!? OOOOO thats safe.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
take it to a mechanic or tyre shop they will use the good old hammer the socket on it. works a treat and will be done while you wait.

also hit it with a chisel on the side and try to undo/crack it

another trick ppl use is to tighten the other 4 nuts even more leaving the lock nut loose and can undo pretty easily...although u risk snapping the studs...
this is a well known trick hence most ppl with decent rims run 2 different lock nuts that way this is not possible but lock nuts can still be removed with sockets, chisel or other means.

geez if you can use a socket to remove it so much for the porpose of lock-nuts, when they can be removed without the key.
mate lock nuts only keep the good ppl honest...if someone wants the rims can be done in under 30min with lock nuts and all...

the best lock nuts available are called gorilla lock nuts...the outside actually spins freely to stop the hammer socket over the top trick...the lock nut key actually goes on the inside of the lock nut....wheelking sell them...bout $100 plus postage...

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
ive had tyres done a couple of times and forgotten to tell them where hte locknut was hidden. they either found it or used other means to remove the nuts. job was always done though.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
i never had the key to my lock nuts either, that's wht bobjane replaced them for me.

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
as a tyre fitter I hate looking through people cars looking for the lock nut why cant they just put it on the dash or something :p

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8