Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Non-starting VZ

Joshyd482

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Commodore Ute
G'day Holden crew,

Just looking for some help troubleshooting a non-starting VZ. I've had her about 5 years now, a 2006 Thunder, and been doing as many things as possible myself over the time to try and learn a bit more about cars (and also to try and save some cash!)
Basically, took her for a long drive on the Sunday, driven out 45mins and back 1hr, then parked out the front of my house. Went to drive on the Wednesday morning and it started, sounded rough, went into reverse and then died after going back about 2 metres.
Since then it hasn't started at all. It will crank, but not actually fire and start up. I've had lube mobile come out and read the codes, which I'll provide down below, but basically he's said that the engine is stuffed and needs either a full refurb or replacement. Obviously that has a decent amount of money involved, so I am exploring all other options first.
I've replaced the Oil Pressure Sensor as I have read and been told sometimes that is what it is. That hasn't changed anything. The battery is great, only 6 months old and full of charge, and I just recently replaced the starter motor which has also seemingly worked wonders.
Any help or direction would be hugely appreciated.
The codes and job description from Lube Mobile are -

"Once On Site As The Vehicle Was Booked For Diagnosing Nos Start Issues,on Inspection Performed Battery Load Test,checked Engine Oil Level And Condition And Checked For Coolant,scanned It With Scan Tool,found Codes P0521,u2100,c0800,c0045,17,25,18,2,u2105,u2108,u2106,8 And 15.explained To The Customer About Them,erased All Codes,but Code P0521 Was Coming Back Again In The Scan Tool On Cranking The Engine Again.shown To The Customer"

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
V6 or V8?
Never mind, looks like it must be a V6.

Looking through the errors, I think you may have a problem with your Powertrain Interface Module (PIM). There are a number of CANBUS-related lack-of-communication errors to various components, including wheel speed sensors, but they may be due to the faulty PIM.

Other forum members may have different (better) ideas.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Make sure the key is contacting the ring properly. a simple check. Sometimes the security ring can be pushed back on the ignition lock.

Joshyd482

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Commodore Ute
V6 or V8?
Never mind, looks like it must be a V6.

Looking through the errors, I think you may have a problem with your Powertrain Interface Module (PIM). There are a number of CANBUS-related lack-of-communication errors to various components, including wheel speed sensors, but they may be due to the faulty PIM.

Other forum members may have different (better) ideas.

Hey mate,
Thanks for the feedback! The bloke from Lube Mobile did mention this could be an issue as well, I just thought I'd try and see if there was a smaller issue first before I got into that, and also because it seems a bit more complex.
Would a fault with the PIM stop the car from starting? And how hard is it to replace this, or is that even the first port of call for something like this? Sorry to be piling on the questions, I'm trying to do as much googling and "Haynes Manual" checking as I can.

Fu Manchu, thanks also for the advice on the key/ring contact. I've been out to double check this and it's unfortunately not that. Wish it was, but thanks for the help too!
Cheers guys

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Changing the PIM is not all that complex but does involve the use of a Tech2 tool for linking and configuration. Suggest you download the VT/VZ Factory Workshop manual using the link below rather than reading the Haynes manual. The Factory manual is 2.7Gb so don't try and download it to your phone. When you get into Dropbox use the download link on the top left hand corner of the display.

Might be better if you transport your car to an ex-Holden dealer for repair. I would recommend Gary & Warren Smith In Oakleigh. Give the service department a ring on 9564-6622 and see if they can help you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sneli43ivfx0f1z/Copy VZ Factory Manual copy.zip?dl=0

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
@BlackVXGTS wearing his underpants on the outside today. You’re a bloody legend.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
Bad coils or possibly not down all the war and if he’s tried to start it heaps the spark plugs probably are full of fuel can you hear the fuel pump priming like a hum in the back of the car if you spray areo start in the air tube and it starts and stalls it will be some thing to do with fueling