Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Plater Hands Free Ban!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i actually think this is a fantastic idea.
too many young people are idiots and distracted while driving. take away the temptation and punish them hard.
learn to concentrate and drive, can people not link people being distracted and these morons on the road? (whether young or not)

how hard can it be to just not have to use a phone at all while driving? whether it be handsfree or not.
if its that desperate pull over, get off the road, do whatever, but focus on 2 things at once (I dont care what people say, you cannot focus on 2 things at once to 100% levels of concentration and comprehend both together)

hell. 80% of accidents on melbournes roads are caused by phones.
does that not say something?

tbh, anyone caught talking/texting on a phone (while in hand) while driving should get an insta-loss of licence and made to resit everything from L's P's and so forth.
make it so people actually think before doing some stupid activity. and wont risk it.

even hands free is bloody dangerous.
think about how many people talk with their hands and get so involved in a conversation, that they loose focus.
if people think they need to talk handsfree, i hope they have alot of experience driving and are sensible enough to choose the appropriate times to use it, not in dangerous environments/locations/etc.

hell.
my phone goes into my pocket when i drive, i physically cannot get it out, it is also on silent.
that way, i cannot get distracted, cannot feel anything, and when i get home/to destination ill check it.
it aint bloody worth it.

but still. i think it is a wonderful idea.
ban it all together for P Platers, remove a potential distraction and teach them to drive.
and before you say anything. im currently a P Plater and absolutely loathe how many other young drivers think they are expert drivers and cant wait to check their facebook accounts, or have an enthralling call with a friend that could wait.

and before you say "its the same as talking to someone else in the car" sure it is fairly similar,
however again, its another distraction that because so many people cant drive in the first place, should be taken away so they can focus on the one thing, DRIVING!

as for your 3rd point.
its fairly obvious if someone is talking hands free, especially if noone else is in the car.
and as said above. the call history will say it all.
and this links your 2nd point, unless they can prove it they cant do anything. again via call history.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Firstly, this is rediculous. What's the point of hand free, then? Why not ban using the radio? That's surely more dangerous.

Secondly, how will this policed? A cop can pull you over for moving your lips while driving? I like singing along to the radio.

Thirdly, Android only app? That just cut out a HUGE chunk of P Platers...

Share your thoughts.

you don't engage in a conversation with your radio.
A phone conversation is far more distracting than listening to the radio. Your brain doesn't require a lot of concentration to process music, whereas there is a higher level of concentrating processing a conversation. Ever tried to walk behind some people who are all over the place talking on a phone ? They are completely distracted. I realise it's not exactly the same as a hands free phone, but the same principals apply. And before you say it, it is different to talking to someone else in the car. Talking to someone else in the car is also distracting, but not as distracting as talking on a phone/handsfree. The person on the phone doesn't know to hold off when you are overtaking a car, or facing another situation that requires your full attention. Also listening to a voice on a speaker usually takes a higher level of concentration than talking to someone beside you. Research has been done in various countries verifying this.

As for policing it, if they suspect you are talking on your hands free, they can easily confirm it or dismiss it with your phone log or records

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Lol i dont even mind.
If someone calls me i just let it go to voice mail and ill respond when i get to my destination.
If the phone rings over and over then ill pull over and pick up (still against the laws unless you turn the car off AND keys out of ignition) but any cop who gets me for pulling over to answer the phone is just a real tight ass.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Just noticed this

"The Government now wants to extend that ban to the full three year probationary period."

Probationary in VIC is 4 years? Am i missing something??

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Mobiles not allowed, CB radios totally legal.

#### logic Australia.......