Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Plater Hands Free Ban!

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
NO PHONES! I SAID NO! BAD P PLATER!!!! PUT THE PHONE IN MY HAND!
supernanny-no_1564244c.jpg

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
please. say how this could possibly be a bad idea banning all P Platers from even Hands Free.
its been proven that many people cant focus on 2 things at once to 100% levels of concentration.
and just have a look at how many young people are bad drivers from distractions in the first place.
less distractions = potential better drivers.

still, they should make punishments for using a mobile phone in hand by anyone (full licence included) alot harsher.
this is actually about your safety on the road.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Citation needed.

Can you please put up a link to that study?

ill try finding it.
was on the news last night and was linked to a study from memory. But ill do some research for you

o far this has been a good read
Mobile phones & driving : VicRoads

and following those links so far have come across this.
Role of mobile phones in motor vehicle crashes resulting in hospital attendance: a case-crossover study | BMJ

have found a qld study from 2021. Cant Link it til i get home (ironically on a phone in a car :p)
but it states 22% of car accidents are caused by phones. And 71% of truck accidents are cqused by phones.
ill link it when i get home and ill keep researching about melbourne

but i do remember that figure of 80% was on the news as i was typing so addded it in.i am willing to be wrong though :p

however i still stand by any phone use in a car is dangerous for a driver. and The risks are proven whether its hamds dree or not

Edit: just wanted to point out the stat is pretty open to interpretation. So it could mean something, like above where the truck accidents are close to said figure, and not specirically car driver accidents

Last edited:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Studies have shown time and time again defensive driving courses do not work. You may learn to skid control now but will you prefect it in 6 months time, without practice (where will you practice it? Not on the streets, is 'hooning'), when you need to use it?

I am no angel here I have skidded in a car accidentally, and most times was able to control it (Thank you GT3-5 LOL!), but when that has happened I was either going too fast, didn't read the conditions right or wasn't paying attention.

I am in favour though of an attitude-based approach, like AAMI skilled drivers program I did. There is also the Institute of Advanced Motorists approach in the UK (we had groups out here in the 70s/80s but it died out). The IAM uses the system of car control or 'roadcraft' approach. i.e. when you see a hazard run through Position/Speed/Gear/Acceleration drill as appropriate. Very respectable, has always been in partnership with the UK police and studies have shown to be very very effective.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
The biggest advantage of Defensive driving is understanding the dynamics of a car, especially with regard to reaction times and common causes of accidents. Even just driving on the freeway you can see many people leave a 1 second gap to the car in front. When I did the defensive driving course though work we were told of a Monash university ARC study which found a 1 second reaction was about the fastest Accel-brake reaction possible, and that's when the subjects were expecting and anticipating needing to brake.

I agree the skid training is not that useful as you'll probably never need it. And if you do, good luck remembering in a split second. But even things like changing the seating and steering wheel position to improve survival rates and injury profiles are well worth doing the course for