Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Plater Hands Free Ban!

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
ill try finding it.
was on the news last night and was linked to a study from memory. But ill do some research for you

o far this has been a good read
Mobile phones & driving : VicRoads

and following those links so far have come across this.
Role of mobile phones in motor vehicle crashes resulting in hospital attendance: a case-crossover study | BMJ

have found a qld study from 2021. Cant Link it til i get home (ironically on a phone in a car :p)
but it states 22% of car accidents are caused by phones. And 71% of truck accidents are cqused by phones.
ill link it when i get home and ill keep researching about melbourne
but i do remember that figure of 80% was on the news as i was typing so addded it in.i am willing to be wrong though :p

however i still stand by any phone use in a car is dangerous for a driver. and The risks are proven whether its hamds dree or not

There's little doubt that even integrated hands free phones are a small distraction (as is checking your speedo, adjusting climate control, etc.)

But there is no way 80% of accidents are a result of phone use.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
The AAMI skilled drivers program I did when I was 22 (in 2005) had the following topics - following distances and relation to reaction times, how speed affects ability to control the vehicle (by way of a slalom and a hairpin bend set out with witches hats) and how traveling speed alters allowed judgement time in having to take evasive action. People who did the course - for free (AAMI policy holders only) - then got a 10% premium reduction until they turned 25.

Back to the phones.....

Handsfree would be hard to police. Even just using a regular phone requires an eagle-eyed spotter to detect, and with tinted windows could be all but impossible anyway...

X6 One Tonner

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ X6 One Tonner
Hey guys new here but needed to add my 0.02cents worth

When i was learning to drive the only phone i had was attached to my house with a piece of wire ( Getting old ) and sat on a table in the hall way

Never missed out on social invites , never even dreamed about social media ,etc etc didn't seem to curb my social development

Ban them altogether in moving vehicles I reckon
I will never use mine whilst driving as my best mate was killed by someone texting and driving less than a week after texting became available on mobiles ( told you i was gettin old )

Hell most people can't navigate a round a bout with out problems here in QLD

Cheers

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Why only 0.02 of a cent? Why not 2 whole cents?

"Giving Your Opinion Tax"

images

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Personally, I think you shouldn't receive a licence unless you can demonstrate:

1) How to drive one handed, while successfully texting with a message length of >50 characters with an accuracy of AT LEAST 24%
2) Control of the vehicle using nothing more than ones kneecaps, whilst composing the above message. (Note: Two hand texting requires double the message length, and thus, double the above accuracy.)

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Personally, I think you shouldn't receive a licence unless you can demonstrate:

1) How to drive one handed, while successfully texting with a message length of >50 characters with an accuracy of AT LEAST 24%
2) Control of the vehicle using nothing more than ones kneecaps, whilst composing the above message. (Note: Two hand texting requires double the message length, and thus, double the above accuracy.)

I probably shouldn't say this but I would pass my license if that was the case.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
There's little doubt that even integrated hands free phones are a small distraction (as is checking your speedo, adjusting climate control, etc.)

But there is no way 80% of accidents are a result of phone use.

yeah fair enough on the 2nd part. first part, studies still do show that handsfree is still extremely dangerous as someone who isnt there doesnt know what the road is like etc unlike someone in the car.
and yes ill concede im semi wrong, as i still havent found the statistics yet.

however, i will say, it was quite an open stat, could be taken many ways.
again, it could mean "truck"(for example) accidents only in Melbourne, as even on the news they didnt specify it