Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint & Panel Tips

customvlcommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom VL commodore(sold regretfully) + VR project
make sure you have lots i mean lots of patience when spraying in winter haha i learnt that the hard why now im paying for it with so far 3 days of buffing :( buts its getting there

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
make sure you have lots i mean lots of patience when spraying in winter haha i learnt that the hard why now im paying for it with so far 3 days of buffing :( buts its getting there

How do you mean?

customvlcommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom VL commodore(sold regretfully) + VR project
well i was just impattient between costs of paint and clear didnt allow extra drying time cause of the cold weather no i have a shiity paint job got runs everywhere but its ok now after buffin the car alot

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
got runs everywhere but its ok now after buffin the car alot

lol, i did the same thing on my drivers door inner jam :( the difference is i CBF rubbing back the runs, no one will notice :)

my advice: try not to leave thinners rags underneath things that you are welding... learned that the hard way, well not me, my mate, but i had to put it out.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
lol, i did the same thing on my drivers door inner jam :( the difference is i cbf rubbing back the runs, no one will notice :)

my advice: Try not to leave thinners rags underneath things that you are welding... Learned that the hard way, well not me, my mate, but i had to put it out.

gold! ! !

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
depends

if theres a repair and its not the best a couple more coats of primer usually gets you out of the ****.

good repairs /straight bare metal panels- 3 coats of primer (2pak) with about 10% reducer and a bit more on hotter days so it dosent go hard in the gun
color- base coat about 3 coats or until covered but you should be careful with this as too many coats of base and your clear will get absorbed into it.
clear- 2 -3 coats (again for 2pak)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ok, time for dumb question number 5609.

if i was to get 4 or so liters of the colour i am going to do my impala in, and sprayed one panel at a time, do i run the risk of panels being a slightly different colour? i mean, if everything was stirred thoroughly and thiners/reducer/hardener was carefully measured?

since itll all be coming from the same tin of paint.

edit* im talking about spraying the 4 doors now, guards a couple of weeks later, quarters after that, etc etc

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
there will be a slight difference if you spray the panels off the car.
seen it happen and have had it happen to me.

spray the insides of everything and hang them on and finish the lot at once

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Ari, you also have to take into consideration the air pressures, air/paint mixtures, distance of the gun from the panel, angle of the gun, speed of the hand/gun, thickness of the coats, humidity/temp you'll be spraying in, etc etc...

With metallics the colour difference you can see, (if it came from the same tin) is normallly just how the metal flakes stand up, if sprayed at different pressures it can effect the way the flakes want to lay down.

Or, so I've heard :p It might be fact, or it might be fiction, but in my (limited) experience, when laying down colour coats, I've done most of the layers as even as I could (but still had some small tigers stripes going on) then give it a 'blend' (for lack of a better/more technical word :D) diagonally all over the areas/panels to blend them all intogether, get the flakes laying down the same. 99% of the time it ended up in a nice even looking colour!

And, agree'd with what wildss said, do all the inners, like you have been, then get the whole outside of the car ready to go. Mix up all your paint/thinners (how ever much you think you'll need) then its all at the same ratio's and measure out your hardener as you go. The whole car will be sprayed before you know it and it will/should all look the same. :)