Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint & Panel Tips

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
the only time i use hardner inbasecoat is when i need to get a dull look on the inside of a bonnet/boot so i add hardner and some reducer to help it get out of the gun.
this way ther base goes rockhard and wont scratch off later on.

i had to re-do 3 panels once when i tried to save some time and didnt paint the door on the car.
even though it was the same batch of paint, same air pressure/feed but because the door was away from the other panels i layed it on just that little bit different and wasnt happy how it looked outside.

i have to take off for work but ill add some more to this tonight when i get back

johnsy_vs

=Johnsy=
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore series 2
know a good painter round the ipswich, minden, liadley, lowood area in QLD does cashies, but work is built up at the moment.... my brother btw lol

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Just a Q. Do all colours (or most OEM ones) come in acrilic as well as 2 pac?

And is it fine to have a flake (or as ari says alot Fleck) in acrilic as well?

Cheers

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
have a flake (or as ari says alot Fleck) in acrilic as well?

lol having a flake sounds like you are eating a chocolate bar. when i say "fleck" im not talking about the glitter stuff you can buy to put in clear, im talking about the little tiny dots inside the colour that make the colour. so in a normal metallic (like my impala) the fleck will be all the silver dots if you stare really closely, in something like a black chaser itll be the red and blue dots you see that make it look kinda greenish. they are tinsie-weensie little things that you have to actually look for, but otherwise wouldnt notice.

flake paint looks more like this:
metalflake2.jpg

and that stuff goes in the clear, not the colour.

one thing i am still not clear on is how everyone says "acrylic base" or "2 pack base" i am using a single part metallic base, with 2 part putty and 2 part clear... so does that make my colour acrylic, or 2 pack?

legendvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina
2 pack base coat is normally 1 part, eg no hardener. 2 part putty or primer filler and 2 part clear is basically 2 pack too.

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
know a good painter round the ipswich, minden, liadley, lowood area in QLD does cashies, but work is built up at the moment.... my brother btw lol

curiousity,does he do it backyard or work for someone out that way like west side,crisps, j thomas? & whats he charge for a bumper

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
handy link to gmh paint codes for anyone whos stuck. site also has other vehicles paint codes & colors for those who arent loyal to holden:D lol

GM Holden Colour Codes

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
its all to do with the type of resin that the basecoat is pre mixed with.
stop stressing and just get the damn thing finished already lol.

with the glitter **** i dont like putting it in the clear, id rather put it in binder, spray it on and clear on top of it making it the "middle layer" so to speak
makes it look much deeper/better at the end