Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Planning An LS1 Build

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
Car goes in to get RaceTCS installed next Monday, I'll post up my review after I have played with all the settings with my street tyres and drag tyres for a while
Cool. I checked out a few vids. Very interesting. Look forward to your update.

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
yea because u only have timing to retard id say that racetcs will be the go, if u had electronic throttle and ve/vf ecu they have much better control and can work good, i remember u talking about that racetcs ages ago ad already thought u had it fitted
You previously mentioned the potential of “slip“ (as a concern I need to consider). How would a RaceTCS apply in my case?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
You previously mentioned the potential of “slip“ (as a concern I need to consider). How would a RaceTCS apply in my case?
any kinds of TC will help if u have excess slip u want to control, also if u go for the centri blower u will have less boost down low so traction may be easier to control, @Ginger Beer has PD blower so full boost instantly any rpm

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
any kinds of TC will help if u have excess slip u want to control, also if u go for the centri blower u will have less boost down low so traction may be easier to control, @Ginger Beer has PD blower so full boost instantly any rpm
Right. The more I looked into that centrifugal blower, the less it became as the preferred option. I can see the build outgrowing it, so now looking into adding a turbo.

Also, curious to learn what to do transmission-wise. Currently, 4L60E, which I thought would be suitable, with some upgrading, but have heard of some guys moving up to the 4L80E.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Right. The more I looked into that centrifugal blower, the less it became as the preferred option. I can see the build outgrowing it, so now looking into adding a turbo.

Also, curious to learn what to do transmission-wise. Currently, 4L60E, which I thought would be suitable, with some upgrading, but have heard of some guys moving up to the 4L80E.
What transmission is power dependant

My fully built 4l60e is rated/warranted for 600hp at the crank (they said it would take more, but that would effect warranty), I'm at 500hpatw, so I am near on maxing it out

You need to work out how much power you want to make, then build to those specs

Speak to a Transmission builder and ask them what they recommend for your power goals, and your use of the car

I have no clue at what a 4l80e is rated to, stock, or built

You are limited to choices if you want overdrive and converter lock up, well, you can get a built T400 and get a overdrive and lock up that will will hold a few thousand hp, but, it is going to cost alot of money, plus importing parts from the US, and finding someone to build it

Long story short, do you want to cruise comfortably and reliably, or do you want to race for sheep stations at the strip

Both will have very different needs and supporting mod requirements

What do you expect from the car IRT cruising/drag racing/roll racing/towing a car trailer?

What power do you want at the wheels?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
What kind of power have you had before & how fast were the cars?

Even with 500hp at engine only place you get to really use it these days is at the track...even less so on the street.

Make sure you know what the end goal is before spending all that coin to end up disappointed.

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
What transmission is power dependant

My fully built 4l60e is rated/warranted for 600hp at the crank (they said it would take more, but that would effect warranty), I'm at 500hpatw, so I am near on maxing it out

You need to work out how much power you want to make, then build to those specs

Speak to a Transmission builder and ask them what they recommend for your power goals, and your use of the car

I have no clue at what a 4l80e is rated to, stock, or built

You are limited to choices if you want overdrive and converter lock up, well, you can get a built T400 and get a overdrive and lock up that will will hold a few thousand hp, but, it is going to cost alot of money, plus importing parts from the US, and finding someone to build it

Long story short, do you want to cruise comfortably and reliably, or do you want to race for sheep stations at the strip

Both will have very different needs and supporting mod requirements

What do you expect from the car IRT cruising/drag racing/roll racing/towing a car trailer?

What power do you want at the wheels?
Yeah that’s excellent food for thought. I’ve started digging into trans options, including TH 400.

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
What kind of power have you had before & how fast were the cars?

Even with 500hp at engine only place you get to really use it these days is at the track...even less so on the street.

Make sure you know what the end goal is before spending all that coin to end up disappointed.
Yes, I hear you. Absolutely right:

Cost of build vs opportunity (off track) to put the investment to use. Otherwise … what’s the point?

As I’m very keen for the turbo experience, I’m seeking out the middle ground between building enough to adequately and comfortably support one — and where a safe and reasonable cut-off point would be.

I am still ascertaining whether to build towards a turbo, or to focus on taking it as far as is reasonable — Naturally aspirated.

I figure if I do the latter (and not account for a turbo), I may find that were I later to add one, I’d end up with more modifications to do, as opposed to sort of ‘future proofing’ the engine, etc. for when the time comes to add a turbo.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Yes, I hear you. Absolutely right:

Cost of build vs opportunity (off track) to put the investment to use. Otherwise … what’s the point?

As I’m very keen for the turbo experience, I’m seeking out the middle ground between building enough to adequately and comfortably support one — and where a safe and reasonable cut-off point would be.

I am still ascertaining whether to build towards a turbo, or to focus on taking it as far as is reasonable — Naturally aspirated.

I figure if I do the latter (and not account for a turbo), I may find that were I later to add one, I’d end up with more modifications to do, as opposed to sort of ‘future proofing’ the engine, etc. for when the time comes to add a turbo.
As you stated, building a good NA engine is totally different to a boost build

To get any real power NA you will need alot of engine work, raise the compression, stroke, big grumpy cam, some good heads, big stall to suit the cam, and fuel solution

Or, if your engine is healthy, just bolt on chosen boost solution, drop in some good valve springs, and get your fuel solution sorted

Both have pros and cons

With both at the same power level, let's say 500hp, the NA will be a pig on the street, but with a good sized turbo a blown car will be responsive and not a issue on the street in traffic

My advice is to go to the drags and watch both the NA cars and boosted cars, that are running typical numbers, cruising around the staging lanes

Or better yet, go for a drive in a worked NA car, then go for a drive in one with boost, with a well matched turbo.....not one with a massive laggy turbo that needs to stage at 4k rpm to build boost

The only real advantage of a NA build is the legalities IRT visual modifications

If you don't have it engineered it can become problematic IRT registration and insurance

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Point is you really need to know what path & budget you want to take then stick with it.

You do n/a head/cam/stally/gears all becomes useless if end up wanting a turbo but by then majority are too stubborn to admit they spent all that coin yet dont like how it turned out other than sound.

It is heavy-ass statesman so already got weight against it...

Try n/a just valve springs/otr/tune & short diff gears....way easier to later turbo or stay n/a just add stally & cam.

Each person has a different preference better yet see if you go for a ride or speak to owners who have already built what you want & see if they'd do it again.