Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Planning An LS1 Build

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
My post about traction control which gave me some good info that I'll talk to my tuner about

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vx-ss-torque-management.300314/

My plan is to see if I can limit torque down low to achieve minimal wheel spin when stomping on the throttle at the strip on drag radials, a little slip is fine, but bagging the wheels off the line not so much

If I can keep getting low 11's to high 10's consistently, by just mashing the throttle, I'll be super happy

It will probably help a "little" on street tyres, but probably not alot, but, on the street I typically drive like a grandma anyway
Thanks for the link “grandma.” I’ll go over that Post a little later.

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
Do you let the clutch out and then smash the pedal? Or do you clutch dump like some do, which I hear can have disasterous results for drivelines? I've had a practice run at the track but only floored it once the clutch grabbed.
Good to know, but in this case auto trans.

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
im not sure how adaptable the electronic throttle is to a cable vehicle as the ecu does alot more then just the engine side and TB had a controller too, the cable throttle will use spark to limit torque and u can allow that to go as low into the negatives as u want only thing is u dont want to be low timing with boost for too long as it will make more heat, ill put pic below of a 2001 gen3 torque management tab the table i have open is the one to play with per gear and rpm, im not sure how good it works being it only uses timing but would be worth a shot at the track

vx-torque-management.jpg
Thanks for that (although the info’s above my current pay grade ‍♂️). For future reference.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I use to be indecisive but now I'm not sure......:rolleyes:

I contacted Autotech Engineering again to revisit installation of the RaceTCS

I've been talking again to the guy who had one installed on his LS1 swapped R33 Skyline, he said to "do everything I can to get it fitted"

He went through the whole thing with HPTuners trying to limit power in the midrange, he said it was problematic and was never on point, trying to limit torque in the tune when different rubber was used, or if the road was dry, black top, concrete, prepped or wet was impossible, he then fitted the older version from Racelogic, got the tune on point, then set the TC to what slip he wanted

He stated that it was a weird sensation in the wet to just mash the pedal with TC set to minimal% slip and the car just accelerating off like a cut snake, or set it to a larger % of slip for a little fun

He said it happens so fast he doesn't really notice it either, the car just leaps forward in the wet, accelerating, which sounds awesomeballs to me

It starts by fully cutting one cylinder, but, it doesn't just focus on the one cylinder, it cycles through all 8, so a cylinder is only cut for one injection event, and it happens quick, as in millisecond quick, once it gets traction, or the % of slip dialed in it gives power

If it needs to cut more power, it will then cut 2 cylinders, again, cycling through each set of cylinder

It doesn't really matter if I'm running drag radials, or street tyres, 0% slip, is 0% slip, and 5% slip will still be only 5% slip, not matter what rubber or tyre pressures you use

Plus you can turn the dial to 100% slip for the pre stage burn out/smoke show/trailer burn out

I talked about actually selling the RaceTCS because it has been sitting on my shelf for the last year, I ended up getting quite a few offers on it, they said I was mad for not installing it, and it is perfect for my platform, because the stock ECU is fine for engine management, and that paying upwards of $10k for a aftermarket ECU, getting it installed, and all the tuning involved for what in essence the RaceTCS that I already own can give me, all for a minimal initial outlay, then installation, "all the power with dial in wheel slip"

It can go from 0% slip, to mad skids, with 5 different % settings of my choosing in between, like 0-3-7-10-20-100%

And easily programmable, apparently, even a Muppet like me

This is what I'm talking about, and has been sitting on my shelf whist I procrastinated> http://www.racetcs.com/

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85

I've been talking again to the guy who had one installed on his LS1 swapped R33 Skyline, he said to "do everything I can to get it fitted"

He went through the whole thing with HPTuners trying to limit power in the midrange, he said it was problematic and was never on point, trying to limit torque in the tune when different rubber was used, or if the road was dry, black top, concrete, prepped or wet was impossible, he then fitted the older version from Racelogic, got the tune on point, then set the TC to what slip he wanted

He stated that it was a weird sensation in the wet to just mash the pedal with TC set to minimal% slip and the car just accelerating off like a cut snake, or set it to a larger % of slip for a little fun

He said it happens so fast he doesn't really notice it either, the car just leaps forward in the wet, accelerating, which sounds awesomeballs to me

It starts by fully cutting one cylinder, but, it doesn't just focus on the one cylinder, it cycles through all 8, so a cylinder is only cut for one injection event, and it happens quick, as in millisecond quick, once it gets traction, or the % of slip dialed in it gives power

If it needs to cut more power, it will then cut 2 cylinders, again, cycling through each set of cylinder

It doesn't really matter if I'm running drag radials, or street tyres, 0% slip, is 0% slip, and 5% slip will still be only 5% slip, not matter what rubber or tyre pressures you use

Plus you can turn the dial to 100% slip for the pre stage burn out/smoke show/trailer burn out

I talked about actually selling the RaceTCS because it has been sitting on my shelf for the last year, I ended up getting quite a few offers on it, they said I was mad for not installing it, and it is perfect for my platform, because the stock ECU is fine for engine management, and that paying upwards of $10k for a aftermarket ECU, getting it installed, and all the tuning involved for what in essence the RaceTCS that I already own can give me, all for a minimal initial outlay, then installation, "all the power with dial in wheel slip"

It can go from 0% slip, to mad skids, with 5 different % settings of my choosing in between, like 0-3-7-10-20-100%

This is what I'm talking about, and has been sitting on my shelf whist I procrastinated> http://www.racetcs.com/
yea because u only have timing to retard id say that racetcs will be the go, if u had electronic throttle and ve/vf ecu they have much better control and can work good, i remember u talking about that racetcs ages ago ad already thought u had it fitted

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
yea because u only have timing to retard id say that racetcs will be the go, if u had electronic throttle and ve/vf ecu they have much better control and can work good, i remember u talking about that racetcs ages ago ad already thought u had it fitted
I had alot of "sorry, but no, but, we can install a ECU that we use that can do what you want", I do understand though, they want to use what they know, and some for sure want me to spend more dollars

From diving deeper the Racelogic and RaceTCS are widely used in Europe, but is more of a DIY thing for people who are all over auto electronics, not your average mechanic or tuner

In the end, what's the worse that could happen......:D
images.jpeg-5.jpg

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Disclaimer: the above picture is not from stuffing up a RaceTCS installation

It is a random goolgles photo when you search destroyed LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3

Must have missed the notification for your reply. Sorry.

Man, really great response. Thanks. This business sounds insane: “He stated that it was a weird sensation in the wet to just mash the pedal with TC set to minimal% slip and the car just accelerating off like a cut snake, or set it to a larger % of slip for a little fun. He said it happens so fast he doesn't really notice it either, the car just leaps forward in the wet, accelerating, which sounds awesomeballs to me.”

Wow.

And I appreciate you laying out your story. Sounds great. Will go over to RACE TCS. Will let you know.

Whatever had you hesitating was maybe not such a bad thing. Many are just a bit too keen for their own good. For whatever reason, it just had to sit with you for a while to be sure. Good call!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Must have missed the notification for your reply. Sorry.

Man, really great response. Thanks. This business sounds insane: “He stated that it was a weird sensation in the wet to just mash the pedal with TC set to minimal% slip and the car just accelerating off like a cut snake, or set it to a larger % of slip for a little fun. He said it happens so fast he doesn't really notice it either, the car just leaps forward in the wet, accelerating, which sounds awesomeballs to me.”

Wow.

And I appreciate you laying out your story. Sounds great. Will go over to RACE TCS. Will let you know.

Whatever had you hesitating was maybe not such a bad thing. Many are just a bit too keen for their own good. For whatever reason, it just had to sit with you for a while to be sure. Good call!
Car goes in to get RaceTCS installed next Monday, I'll post up my review after I have played with all the settings with my street tyres and drag tyres for a while