Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

plenum spacer/s, are they worth it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If your looking for improvements in economy and are considering smoothing out the castings; it might be worth seeing if you can get a better manifold first. Not sure if there are any available for your engine?? But I know from experience on other cars better flowing inlet manifold, ones that have better angles and bigger tubes are a good place to start if you're looking at doing some mod work in that area of the engine. Years ago extractors were also a way of improving economy although I'm not sure if it will make any diff to your car. I'm more referring to old Holden's that we used to drive and play around with back in the 80s.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 WM STATESMAN
If your looking for improvements in economy and are considering smoothing out the castings; it might be worth seeing if you can get a better manifold first. Not sure if there are any available for your engine?? But I know from experience on other cars better flowing inlet manifold, ones that have better angles and bigger tubes are a good place to start if you're looking at doing some mod work in that area of the engine. Years ago extractors were also a way of improving economy although I'm not sure if it will make any diff to your car. I'm more referring to old Holden's that we used to drive and play around with back in the 80s.

@losh1971 Yes mate that is exactly what I am trying to do, I'm not trying to increase the horse power (although any positive benifits I get out of the changes are welcomed). It would be great if I could find a new one but the price would probably kill the joy of finding it, Hahahaha!

Also about extractors? Haven't all the Commodores got headers now? Would there be much difference? Between the headers and extractors? I suppose there would be an improvement with extractors, I'll think about that one? I do have a 2.5 inch single system of the headers now, so that will do for a while until it needs to be changed, and that's when I'll think about the extractors. Good point though losh1971.

I just picked up a second hand Plumen and Inlet Manifold of a VY V6 Ecotec for $100 which I think is a great price. It means I can play with this off the car and not damage the original one. It also means (when I have time to play around) I can test the difference between the original Plumen and Manifold and the port and polished Plumen and Manifold and? With and without the insulator spacer, so that should be fun.

Eventually I will port and polish the heads, but I wont do that until they need to be removed, plus I'll look at the cost of new heads versus reconditioning the heads? Recoditioning could mean shaving, which leads to a higher compression? And I'm not sure if I want that to happen. But anyway that's in the future, don't need to think about that now. Can you suggest any good brands for new heads?

Also? I found that High Voltage Coil packs will add an improvement, the information and feedback I have read from this is that? It improves the idling? What's yout thoughts on High Voltage Coil packs?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the coils are Msd I would check reveiws about them. I know only from experience on jeeps that they fail really quickly like within months of fitting. Might be different on commodores but best to check online reveiws IMHO.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 WM STATESMAN
If the coils are Msd I would check reveiws about them. I know only from experience on jeeps that they fail really quickly like within months of fitting. Might be different on commodores but best to check online reveiws IMHO.

Choice mate thanks, I will do some research on them (the high voltage coil packs) and not just MSD, I'll look at as many high perfromance brands as possible before purchasing, and they are well down the bottom of the list of things to do at the moment.

The other thing I do have to consider is the Chip? But that will be after all modifications are done, there is no point looking at the chip until I have finished with everything else, I don't know if I need to have it upgraded or not, but will look into it later. Thanks for you good advice and honest opionion it's greatly appreciated.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You could try iridium plugs either Bosch or ngk they give a bigger spark

Mitch1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt 3.8L worked
hi, been reading allot about plenum spacers, i have a 25mm manifold spacer, would a plenum spacer really make any noticeable difference? ive read a fair bit on them and atm its even with weather they make any difference or not

looking for opinions from people that have installed a manifold spacer the plenum spacer and found a difference or from people that just just have a plenum spacer etc

cheers
I found if u space plenum and valley and throttle body nice high flow cats half decent exhaust give it a good clean some fresh rocket cover gaskets a good service nice plugs and leads u will notice a good improve ment low end and u won’t get as much lag but it’s not no massive difference just good low end performance :)... so yes in the long run it’s worth it get the spacers and bolts from mace there the best ...

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 WM STATESMAN
I found if u space plenum and valley and throttle body nice high flow cats half decent exhaust give it a good clean some fresh rocket cover gaskets a good service nice plugs and leads u will notice a good improve ment low end and u won’t get as much lag but it’s not no massive difference just good low end performance :)... so yes in the long run it’s worth it get the spacers and bolts from mace there the best ...

@Mitch1990 Thanks mate, thats what I'm aiming at, good clean passageways for the fuel and air, and if I get the added bonus of improved performance? Then that is just the bonus for all my hard work Hahahaha (Well it's not really hard work, but it's a lot of fun) hehehehe.
All good Mitch1990 thanks for the feedback.