Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Preferred fuel for 6.2 L LS3

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Beg pardon:), confused a frivolous silly new car question as being technical, wrong section i.e. I should have known better:D

I like rum coz sounds like bum!
There's a trend developing here...:p

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
There's a trend developing here...:p
Haha is like everybody wants answers, funny or popular... not necessarily the truth:

myls362

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
You can still buy E85 at Hastings on the Mornington Peninsula. The VF SS I had could run E85. It used about 40% more of the stuff than E10. Unfortunately the LS3 can't run on E85.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
You can still buy E85 at Hastings on the Mornington Peninsula. The VF SS I had could run E85. It used about 40% more of the stuff than E10. Unfortunately the LS3 can't run on E85.
Not under warranty like the L77, no. It will run a lot better with the sensor and updated tuning data loaded, $500 best bang for buck upgrade.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
LS3 can run e85 just not without a sensor, Then that needs to be turned on in the tune, which cv

Not under warranty like the L77, no. It will run a lot better with the sensor and updated tuning data loaded, $500 best bang for buck upgrade.
Interesting. I wonder why Holden, or HSV didn't include it on the LS3's? Are there any risks?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Interesting. I wonder why Holden, or HSV didn't include it on the LS3's? Are there any risks?
Makes sense for manufacturers to spec high octane, thing is e10 can span 91-100 octane.
United e10 is 95 octane, high enough can run my car which is 14:1 CR on it. So err LS3 retarded cam 10.7:1 has no problem.
Just a standards compliance issue I think.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i put my E1 LS2 on flex about 6 months ago just got the sensor and wired in to ecu then tune changes to suit and good to go

myls362

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Holden ditched back in 2015.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/holden-drops-e85-from-commodore-20150415-1mlhax.html

E85 just hasn't worked out. With the price of oil as cheap as it is, Ethanol just isn't cost competitive. When I started buying it in 2013, the price difference was 12 cents per litre. Now they just charge $1.35. No wonder people aren't interested.

I did notice when I hooked up the OBD2 reader the old VF had a % alcohol reading. That's gone in the VFII.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Holden ditched back in 2015.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/holden-drops-e85-from-commodore-20150415-1mlhax.html

E85 just hasn't worked out. With the price of oil as cheap as it is, Ethanol just isn't cost competitive. When I started buying it in 2013, the price difference was 12 cents per litre. Now they just charge $1.35. No wonder people aren't interested.

I did notice when I hooked up the OBD2 reader the old VF had a % alcohol reading. That's gone in the VFII.
Yeah that's United for you. I remember when Holden was offering it from factory, zero, like nobody knew what it did apart from the fact you may use more of it. Even told by attendants to steer clear because it might make your car run rough :confused:
I rarely pay over $1.10 a litre, but if I can only get 20¢-30¢ cheaper and forced toward the United curry-munching 457visa consortium, I fill mostly with any cheap petrol and top 1/3 with e85.
Not many people realise what's going on with high ethanol combustion, was badly marketed too. Doesn't seem to hurt the pumps I frequent though, 86 / BRZ, turbo or rotary buzz to it like moths in the night. Is like the office water cooler, lots of interesting DIY / tech still going on with ethanol.
By the way that article is fluff, Chevron quit all its ties here early 2014 following Holden closure announcement, as in sold all its holdings inc collaboration in biowaste recycling plant in VIC, expansion of supply deal with Millandra in NSW.
So yeah crap marketing but the two major stakeholders underwriting ethanol flex fuel revolution were in shutdown fire sale mode.
Plenty of articles with the back story as to why big oil (Chevron #2 in oil), dropped everything and ran when #1 car maker left the antipodes.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Makes sense for manufacturers to spec high octane, thing is e10 can span 91-100 octane.
United e10 is 95 octane, high enough can run my car which is 14:1 CR on it. So err LS3 retarded cam 10.7:1 has no problem.
Just a standards compliance issue I think.
Do United sell 'real' 95 octane fuel? Or do they sell E10 as '95'?
Reason being I was returning from Lakes Entrance with my daughter, was down to a quarter tank.
Usually top up the tank in Sale with BP 95, but BP was shut. So I topped up with United 95...
The poor Redline didn't like that stuff, it was down on power, and ran pretty rough at idle.
Even my daughter noticed it. We got back OK, but the car was running vapours by the time I got home.
I normally use less than half a tank for the same journey.
Refilled with BP 95, and the car was back to normal.