Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Preferred fuel for 6.2 L LS3

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yep - it's refreshing to read this - I wouldn't use ethanol additive fuels in my cars due to ethanol strongly bonding with water (causing an obvious corrosion problem). You simply can't split the two completely. I recall this from my chemical and materials engineering degree studying alcohol production and followed by many years in Engineering roles since then.
In your chemical and materials engineering, when you covered the topic of corrosion, did you also consider gasoline as corrosive, or just water?
In your engineering roles since did you discover beer, bourbon, or wine to be more or less corrosive than gasoline and it's additives?

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
I usually put Vortex in mine and had no trouble at all. Only real reason is there is a couple on my way to and from work.
Although if I do have the choice I'll go for BP Ultimate if I'm near one.

Who supplies On The Run's fuel?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
In your chemical and materials engineering, when you covered the topic of corrosion, did you also consider gasoline as corrosive, or just water?
In your engineering roles since did you discover beer, bourbon, or wine to be more or less corrosive than gasoline and it's additives?
Certainly tastier!
It's a fair point though, in the context of machines not built for ethanol. Unlike ours. I'm into boats and while some outboards run on ethanol, the tanks get bulk water in them if left for a while,. So better to avoid ethanol unless you're into racing. In contrast, my Redline loves the stuff and never have I had an issue. I'm confident it's not eating my valves or cylinder walls too!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yes alcohol attracts a fixed percentage of water if left exposed. But exposing gasoline to water, leaving seperated water in gasoline through typical condensation can be far worse for your fuel tank / supply lines than water in ethanol.
Both materials sealed with same amount of moisture your engine and fuel supply is better off with ethanol, no matter what the water fraction. Difference is an alcohol fuelled engine can take up to 40% water and still run perfectly fine (5-15% runs much better).
It's not that alcohol can't be used in aviation (where it was borne) or maritime applications, just like N2O, ATF or brake fluid, materials handling needs to be treated with respect.
So back to topic, gasoline with less than 10% alcohol does attract no more than 2% water, which doesn't matter to running or corrosion.
However gasoline with just 2% water is harmful in many ways including greater corrosion and dangerous operation. ie more alcohol helps fight corrosion from water and adds together adds octane and promotes thermal efficiency.

Last edited:

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Tried few consecutive tanks of Shell 98, BP 98 and Caltex 98 before but found Costco 98 is the best...Also the cheapest at $1.307 per litre this week in Canberra.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Costco uses Mobil which seems to be good. I always used Costco until I got this car with a fuel card... can't use the fuel card at Costco dammit, so BP 98 for me.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
United E85
and/or blend with BP98.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tune is set for 95+ but loves a tune for 107.
Nothing beats Caltex eFlex when you switch on flex fuel. It's $1.10 / litre today...
Yeah, my carr loves it! I just can't buy the stuff here unfortunately mate.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Are ethanol fuels still available? I know E10 is...
I've never seen an E85 bowser, none of the United stations around here sell it.
Have only seen E85 in 200l drums at Autobarn.
The local Caltex used to have an eflex bowser, but not any more...