Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

push button start

sixes

UTEPILOT
Reaction score
Website
www.utepilot.com
Members Ride
VY SS II M6 Ute
An easy way would be to see the guys at your local drag / speedway meet. Almost all of them have the push button start. I did one on my mates torana a few years ago. Fairly fiddly with getting the wires sorted out and looking neat. I used one of those full metal batter isolation switches for a type of kill switch for the whole system and used 4 heavy duty toggle switches for thermo fan, fuel pumps, ignition and accessories and the push button as the start. No ignition barrel required! An easy way to get around the security thing is to get an imobiliser fitted with central locking and remove the locks! (just make sure you DO turn off everything or you wont get in)

Go see your local speed club etc for advice and im sure someone will be more than happy to help / show you how to do it. Easier like that than people writting a diagram if your not really into wiring up stuff.

PM me if you need more help as I have a mates drag car I can write something in detail up for ya

StealthX

Reaction score
Website
www.stealth.nismo.org
Members Ride
HSV VX Clubsport.
I want a button like the Koenigsegg's (no thats not mis-spelt its Swedish..) to start those buggers, you flip up a little lid on the top of the gear shifter and its got like "Start" on it.. its mad lol

Sorry for double posting just noticed.. lol

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
The only benefit of a push-button starter would be for true keyless entry and starting.

But - if you have a steering lock - no way to disable that without a key, short of disabling it all together!

And a steering lock is a good thing to have...

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
We got a push button start in the VH wagon burnout car. Flick a switch to turn the ignition on, and push a button to start it, then let it go when it's started. First when we didn't have the push button we just used a normal switch, flicked it up to get the starter motor tuning over, then just flicked it back down when it was started. Got rid of all the steering lock and everything else on the steering column. But we re-wired the hazard lights to a switch so we could still use them. :)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have a starter button (sort of) on my clutch pedal that uses the spare set of contacts on the cruise dissengage switch to make the starter solenoid circuit so you cant turn the starter motor over without your foot on the clutch pedal...stops you inadvertently lurching your car forward if it is in gear when you are trying to start it.

danny1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore sedan
is it posible to maybe instal a wagan wipper switch and use the rear wiper output as a starter kill?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
danny1987 said:
is it posible to maybe instal a wagan wipper switch and use the rear wiper output as a starter kill?
Yep just run the 12v output from the stalk switch terminal to a relay coil and switch whatever you want to kill through it...probably the starter solenoid circuit which is normally the violet wire.