Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Raise the legal driving age

Should there be a uniform driving age of 18 in Australia?

• Total voters

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
I say no.
My driving instructor said to me once, that the fact is that no matter what age ppl are they will have the attitude that they have been under thumb there hole lives and this is the largest amount of freedom they have been able to have.
So 17 or 18 makes no real difference cause they feel the same way.
Although i agree that there should be one licensing system and rules but that would just make to much sense.

vy1sv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv ute
old people slide under the radar all the time, why dont they bring in a law stating that when you get old you cant drive, or at least without the company of someone below a certain age. If they really cared about improving road situations they wouldnt be renewing half blind/deaf grans who cant and should not be driving because they are completely ignorant to anything around them. Most of the time its elderly and middle age bogans i see driving badly, arrogantly and stupidly not young people. i dont hate old people im just stating what i see :p

Last edited:

Crunkz0r

Wagon driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec Wagon v6 auto
Yes, because i'm already 18.

No, because i feel sorry for those high school kids who wouldn't be able to show off their cars in their 11th and/or 12th year.

94vrexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
driving is a skill. it can be learnt wether your 13 or 70. just like riding a motorbike, riding a horse, or even using a welder! they all take skill. learn the skill and your right. i don't see why a 17 yr old person couldn't drive a car just as good as a 70 year old driver, with the necessary training.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I agree with 94vrexec. I don't think raising the age limit wil achieve much, as it's more of a mental issue than a physical one. A 30 yr old, can have the same attitude towards driving as your typical 17 yr old 'hoon'.

I think just make a certain amount of lessons to be taken, and a defensive driving course to be done befor moving from L's to P's.

Maybe even a "Information Session" that includes pretty full on video's documents etc. on the affects of drink driving, speeding, street racing etc.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
I honestly believe the age should be lowered (not for P's but for L's), if kids can get in and learn about cars at say age 10 - 12, that way they would have their L's for at least 5 years and on getting their P's they will be a hell of alot more skilled.

reason i say this is when i was growing up mum had me driving when i was 8 (whenever we went to the farm) taught me all about 3pt turns, reversing. even showed me what it was like to drive on the road and do a roundabout:w00t: some of you people here would think that is blatenly wrong but i've got all those years experience up and it helped...Thanks mum:thumbsup:

funny thing is i am the only person out of my group who will ever be givin the keys to anyone else's car and be trusted. :)

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
i don't see why a 17 yr old person couldn't drive a car just as good as a 70 year old driver, with the necessary training.

Probably better! At 70, many people's vision and hearing could be deteriorating, and reactions will more than likely be slowing down too.

I really believe it is down to the attitude of each person, and nothing to do with the age they get their P's.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Shounak...

Would you have started this post if you were 16 ?

That goes for all of you who voted yes that are older know like myself.. would you have all voted yes if you were 16/17 ?

Mabey an advanced driving course should be compulsary for anyone obtaining there P's.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Don't lower it .. no way! every high school kids, would be racing after school for sure !

Doing bunouts in there mum or dads car, draggin the teachers it would be insane :p

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
.......At 70, many people's vision and hearing could be deteriorating, .........
:yeah: good enough reason to go all out and get whoppin' big subs n' multi chanell amps n' splits all round:clapping: