Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Raise the legal driving age

Should there be a uniform driving age of 18 in Australia?

• Total voters

94vrexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
Don't lower it .. no way! every high school kids, would be racing after school for sure !

Doing bunouts in there mum or dads car, draggin the teachers it would be insane :p

you have a point. i spose having their liscences in school would just recreate school as a "race meet". people would be organizing drags during classes... ur rite... it would end up being like that.... and this is coming from a 16 year old. and think about the school car parks... paddock bombs everywhere from the 15 year old kids who found a car that actually started out bush lol.

piston1

vz ss 6.0l
Reaction score
Members Ride
vzss 6.0l
the yanks have had driver ed at schools for years which should be bought in here starting at 15 and be taught road rules at 16 get Ls with two school lessons a week devoted to driver training.all right for city people to say 18 you have public transport i live in the country 40 km round trip to a shop.my kids both have some parttime work and i work gets expensive running them to work and back some times cost more in fuel than they earn.what do u want the young to work or go on the dole would be easy and cheaper for my pocket would be more common sense to restrict under 21 to non turbo 4cly govened cars 18 year olds dont have much more brains than some one 16.drinking age should be 21

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
nah shouldnt be raised its good as it is (and i am 17 (for another 20 days, yeh!)) . its only the idiots and people who cant drive for **** that crash their cars... especially those who come from foriegn countries who dont get taught how to drive properly in the first place.

i think 17 years is long enough for someone to get their p's from australia. But someone from another country under the age of 20 should have to take a proper driving test and pass before they can drive on the road.

cheers
ryan

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Whats the difference between crashing a car when your 18 because of no experience and when you 16 with no expereince.

better to lean early. theres immature 30 year olds, so should the age minium goto 30 because there 30yo idiots?

public transposrt will be more crowded then it already is

people will loose or not be able to get jobs

i say the rest of aus should follow suit with sa.

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
i think the legal age should be 17 but its difficult i know some peopel that are 19 and are more immature then a 14yr old, and i know some people that are 16 and that are more mature then the 19 years old. but i think it comes down to what the person has grown up around if the parents drive stupidly then the child is more likely to copy then. ive seen plenty of crashes caused by older people then younger people. if the legal age was 17 the only place id be driving would be to school and back and work. but thats me.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
they should do a psyc test like they do in the army to see if your sane or not; would you kill someone? lol if you say yes you fail, if you say no you fail.:thumbsup: i passed;)

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
i might it depends on the person and what they did tho but id say yes if the guy failed me then asked me the question again

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
how do u pass?
this is what i said: "all depends on the circumstances, in a life or death situation then yes i would kill the person posing a threat." the guy was astounded because he said only very few ever give the correct answer:thumbsup:
mind you though my step dad was in the army for 22 years so i had a lil help with the psyc test.:p

fluxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
i know a few people approaching 30 that i wouldnt trust with a car.. a lot of 17 year olds need cars to hold down part time jobs in the evening (i know i did) so i dont think raising the driving age is really very viable.

that said, my little sister just got her learners permit and is already ignoring the road rules and thinks shes the best driver on the road. I think there are a lot of problems with the drivers licence system and some changes should be made. I think a large contributing factor to accidents involving p platers is their lack of experience, the quality to which they have been tought and their lack of respect for the power a car has and the ammount of s**t it can get them into.

i think L platers should be tought to drive by qualified driving instructors, not just a parent or friend, the process and testing procedure should be a lot stricter and more in depth and before getting P plates i think drivers should be made to take an advanced driving course where they are shown first hand the awkward situations you can get into and then tought how to avoid them or get out of them.

there are way too many people on the road that certainly dont deserve their licence.

thats my 10c :whistling