Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommended Oil for Ecotec V6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden-Owner

Holden-Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Holden Statesman WH 3.8L Supercharged V6
Ive never had a problem with ryco filters because my mechanic has them made in the USA or australia to a higher standard than they are standard

Holden-Owner

Holden-Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
If you want to avoid that use the very best oils etc i use nothing but the best as posted above

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
ive found on a few cars with ryco filters that they do not seal properly like holden filters do.

As for oils there's 1000's of threads already and people will make up there own mind what's best.

Though sensible advice would be. Dont bother with the oil brand if they don't have a datasheet and dont list HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) Spec, then do your own analysis, it's cheap to send in oil and get it tested for wear etc, find what works best in your setup and change intervals needed then stick with it.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Yea I had the same problem, found a drip stain on the old Ryco when it was up on a hoist.

Holden-Owner

Holden-Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
@The1

well my mechanic has all his RYCO filters made to a higher standard in the US ever since ive had my mums old statesman i got when i was 17 its had ryco filters they all sealed properly i used a holden one and it was leaking like mad so i put RYCO back on and it didnt leak the slightest it filters better than the holden one i got to try

the fluids i use oil,trans fluid,power steering,brake fluid etc all have the spec sheets and i have very high standards so they got my tick of approval and ive been using them since ive had the car and before was the same when it was my mum's she hardly drove it so its got
5X,XXX K's on it

Holden-Owner

Holden-Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
@The1

Ive found Holden filters to be complete rubbish compared to my mechanics filter make quality & filtering capabilities

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
@The1

well my mechanic has all his RYCO filters made to a higher standard in the US ever since ive had my mums old statesman i got when i was 17 its had ryco filters they all sealed properly i used a holden one and it was leaking like mad so i put RYCO back on and it didnt leak the slightest it filters better than the holden one i got to try

the fluids i use oil,trans fluid,power steering,brake fluid etc all have the spec sheets and i have very high standards so they got my tick of approval and ive been using them since ive had the car and before was the same when it was my mum's she hardly drove it so its got
5X,XXX K's on it

Ryco filters are not made in the US. check the packaging and you'll find such places as Taiwan, Mexico and even Uganda.

Holden-Owner

Holden-Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ryco filters are not made in the US. check the packaging and you'll find such places as Taiwan, Mexico and even Uganda.

Yes some maybe & im aware that STORE ryco filters arnt made there but as i said my mechanic has his made to a higher standard in the USA

He has contacts through RYCO so basically its like a custom filter with the right size required

Every package he has "Made in USA" and the filtering capabilities are alot better than the standard ones

My mechanic doesnt use cheap crap

Parts, oils etc are either made in

Australia,Germany,USA, United Kingdom,
Even with electrics basically everything is made in China as we know but he has his made elsewhere as i said above but there more expensive i really dont care for peace of mind

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
lmfao Ryco made in the USA? Hahaha no. That stuff's going to be rubbish. You'll find the good Z154 filters are going to be made in China. We've had many filters cross-sectioned, and the Chinese and Taiwanese filters are by far superior in terms of assembly of the sprung filter mass, pleating of the filter mass, and welding around the case pleats.

It's just not a bad thing any more.

That said, buy Wesfil where you can. Owned by the same company as Ryco (GUD Holdings), manufactured in the same places, and to the same standards for most of the common filters. Half the price.

I'll put it to you this way:

In the last 6 years in the industry, I've had between 30-40 Ryco filters back for warranty, and 2 Wesfil that I can remember (mind you we sell easily 400% more volume in Wesfil). Ryco is all about marketing. Period. You're not paying for a superior product - you're paying for adverts on the radio, adverts in newspapers, adverts in magazines, adverts and billboards in workshops, and shiny boxes with nice print on them.

I can name three aftermarket parts we sell that come from the USA now: AC Delco spark plugs, Champion spark plugs, and a few other Ignition accessories. All have a bad reputation in the industry for being crap. Just think Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Saturn/Cadillac. Not names associated with quality.

Just my two cents :)

Status
Not open for further replies.