Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Religious experiment

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
Technological advances and methods have now ways of proving things that weren't possible in the past. just because science hasnt found a way to prove or disprove it yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Be it God, cancer, atoms..

you may be right, but ever heard of rational and logical thinking? everything we know so far disproves the existence of a god and the theory of evolution backs this up too. thinking that a all knowing being created everything as we know it on a whim is lunacy, just pure lunacy.

minds eye, sixth sense, that feeling like ur being watched or someone is near by but noone is around, there are things that cannot be explained but to those that have felt it, they know. Regardless if they are believed by those around.

yes, they can be explained. if you feel/or experience these things, the only place you are experiencing it is in your head. the brain is a mavouls thing. that's why man is the dominant species on this planet. once again, everything we have learned though scientific method disproves this.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
A crankshaft can be used in more than engines. It's a mechanical device to transform force, camshafts work on the same principle. Windmills for eg. I know what you're saying but without god you don't have religion unless you deify something, how can religion exist? Just as what point a god if you don't have to worship it and invent a way to do so? They don't exist on their own, there's no reason to. A crankshaft transforms force, that force requires a crankshaft to do what is needed from it, we need a job done and use them, like we do god and religion..

Ofcourse religion can exist without there being an actual god. As I said, people make **** up all the time.

Religion is just a group of people that share a belief system. But it had to start somewhere, so if one person made some **** up got 2 other people to believe it, and those 2 people got another 2 people to believe it, etc. You end up with a religion that may worship a god, but that god doesn't exist.

Same as if there is a god being, but it's not discovered and no one knows about it. It can still exist. You know the saying "god works in mysterious ways" so just maybe god doesn't want to be known about but rather just influence our existence in subtle ways.

Maybe a god is able to influence science in a way that means science will never be able to prove or disprove a gods existence.

In summary, one can exist without the other.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Of course Religion is learned, we as humans are extremely curious creatures and when something can not be learned scientifically (and I use that term loosely) then we develop or create a story, just like our Native Aboriginals.

We quickly excuse their stories as "Dream Time Myths" but for them is was fact.

As Christopher Hitchens once said:

" If Religious instruction were not aloud until a child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world"

Which really sums up the entire thread.

And just so those Creationist know, when you hear the words "The Theory Of Evolution " the word "Theory" doesn't mean the same thing as it does on its own...

Evolution is a scientific fact, and has been proven for many years, so don't cherry pick out of the bible and say you believe in evolution but also the "word of the lord", you either take the entire thing as fact, or not at all...

And if you believe in a God, then your God is an incredibly stupid "thing" for trying to spread his meaning through stone tablets in languages that have died off and translated so many times they have lost all original meaning.

Not to mention how effing dangerous the world we live in, in a natural form actually is. Look at all the things that can kill us, from plants, to animals to gasses and explosions even weather! Yeah, a world created for man?

pffft please...

You seek answers that have not yet been answered, so you concoct a story to help with your own curiosity, the older a tradition is (even as ridiculously stupid as a religion) the more believable it becomes.

I was a Catholic for 25 years, and the best way to become an Atheist is to read the Bible.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Faith and religion are 2 totally different things.

Look back through the history books and see what organised religion has done for the masses, most major wars can attributed to organised religion controlled by the few at the top of the pyramid paid for by the death of many of the masses.

Almost all of the conflict in the world today is based around religious belief. Best example would be the current Muslim Vs Christian situation or more commonly seen on the news as the west Vs the middle east.....

I have no issue with anybody who has faith or follows a religion, in fact one of me best friends is a Christian with very strong beliefs, yet he never ever preaches to me and when i'm in his company I mind my otherwise foul language. A lot of religions could learn a lot from our simple friendship.

Long live Israel

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
To answer Op, They would probably ask “What is God ?”

Even if they did have a connection to “something” as Ari said, they would not know what it was called.

God is merely a name that humans have attached to an entity that parts of society believe in.

I was a Catholic for 25 years, and the best way to become an Atheist is to read the Bible.

Or experience the sheer hipocrasy of the Catholic church.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
50% of those 1000 babies would feel a connection to "something". the only concept of god is a unified group of views projecting some kind of "form" onto an existing energy that surrounds us all.

everyone feels that energy, some stronger than others, and as humans we need to personify things to help us understand what it is we feel.

The force is strong with this one.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
On a serious note, I believe that each and every one of us are drawn to some form of higher being.

For the life of me, even putting aside all that I personally believe, if I was to take part in that experiment, I would still feel drawn by some strong connection to some kind of higher power. With what ari said, with only language, the only difference would be what we would call it.

I can't understand how human's can believe all that is around us was created by some accident, that our creation and existence is merely the product of a 1,000,000,000,000th chance of a certain chemical reaction (whatever the odds are).
It is my belief that atheism and certain scientific research and opinions have been merely a part of human nature to justify our existence and disconnect ourselves with the idea that there is something alot bigger and more powerful than 'us' out there.
We are an intelligent and sophisticated species, amongst a world with such diverse forms of life and occurences, yet in the grand scheme of the universe out there, we appear insignificant. Though it is my belief that the universe is an empty space, created to show how small we are in comparison to the force (i.e. God) who created what we know as the earth/life and the universe.

Religion and faith are two different things. Religion is Man's interpretation and take on how a God would have us act. Many atrocities and manipulation of humanity have been committed throughout history under the name of God. Be it Muslims, Hindu's, Catholicism or Christianity etc. People blame God for events in life such as those described above, yet blame God for the actions of men, who were given free choice by God.

I feel a connection to something bigger, something greater than myself. To be honest, that humbles me which only makes me more respectful and compassionate towards humanity.
Many people say things like 'how can you believe in something that you can't see/feel/hear/touch'. It is my belief that these types of people operate out of only one of two sides of human connection, the physical, the other being spiritual/emotional.
If you want my honest opinion, I feel 'God' in everything, every single part of life I feel a connection.
If you want to be corny, think of the connection like what Qui-Gon Jinn says in Star Wars 'The Force is an energy field surrounding all living things, it lives inside of us and around all of us'.

To bring an end to my rambling, I don't believe that the outcome of the study would work. It is my belief that all humanity feels a connection to a higher being, yet it is society, language and our experiences in life which undermine certain people's connection or desire to 'disconnect' for any variety of reasons.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I claimed Jedi as my religion in the last census, I think I will again this year. "The Force" as explained in Star wars is as believable to me as any other God but makes more sense.......