Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Serious problem

Shaun Brannelly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 2006
Scan tool could/should pick up the issue. What happens is the chains stretch, so your cam position sensors start giving incorrect signals.

As for repair cost, timing chains arent all that expensive to fix. Probably around $1500-2000.

But first step before jumping into anything is find a decent mechanic to look at it. A scantool, depending on the proprietry licenses it has, and in the correct hands can tell you more than you need.
OK. If I can't solve the problem with simple methods, I may have to tow it to holden, get them to check it out. Am really hoping it is something simple, save myself $2000 + in repairs if possible. The car will only sell for around 6-8k. But,.. It is what it is. I've used under experienced mechanics on previous vehicles and paid dearly. Thank you heaps for your input on this situation.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If you do a lot of driving on unsealed roads then fuel pump failure is a possibility.

If there are no codes then chains are unlikely, even with stretched chains the car should start and run.

Sounds like a fuel pressure issue, as said give the valve on the fuel rail a poke and check for pressure.

Fuel might be off after 12 months too so would be worth chucking a full tank of premium in after repairing the fault. If it's a pump get them to drain the tank while it's out.

Shaun Brannelly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 2006
If you do a lot of driving on unsealed roads then fuel pump failure is a possibility.

If there are no codes then chains are unlikely, even with stretched chains the car should start and run.

Sounds like a fuel pressure issue, as said give the valve on the fuel rail a poke and check for pressure.

Fuel might be off after 12 months too so would be worth chucking a full tank of premium in after repairing the fault. If it's a pump get them to drain the tank while it's out.
Couldn't find a fuel rail so I ripped out the back seat to have a listen for the fuel pump.. No noise? And the silastic seal had already been cracked? Top plate is covered in a thick layer of bulldust. Haven't ventured any further yet.

Last edited:

Shaun Brannelly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 2006

Last edited:

Shaun Brannelly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 2006

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
From memory the valve is rear of engine drivers side just under manifold.

mr_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 07
Scan tool could/should pick up the issue. What happens is the chains stretch, so your cam position sensors start giving incorrect signals.

As for repair cost, timing chains arent all that expensive to fix. Probably around $1500-2000.
$2000 is inexpensive for you? Jesus. So what do you consider expensive?

OP, did you manage to find what the problem is?

Shaun Brannelly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 2006
No, I've had a mate come look at it.. He's believes it is getting fuel to the engine. I never actually got around to checking the fuel flow at the engine end myself, which was also recommended. Given up for another week or so. Will look at again soon.