Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shoplifting

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
i couldn't be ****ed making a citizens arrest to catch a shoplifter.
imagine how much time and effort you would have to put in going to court as a witness

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
That seems strange to me as our Woolies has signs on the checkouts. "Be prepared to open bags for inspection." Or have policies changed recently?

No idea, thats just what the check out chick told me after what happend.

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
Last person that tried to steal while I was working alone got knocked to the ground haha.

If it was an old lady, I would just wait for her to pay, and hopefully she pays with eftpos, then I can get her name. I would confront her about it at the checkout anyway. Deal with plenty of thieves at my bottle shop. Some of the excuses they come up with are just moronic.

For as long as I can remember, places like target have had people at the door to check peoples bags. It doesnt bother most normal people.

Interesting post minux. Some good info. Good to know what I can and can't do with thieves.

LOL, as much as i hate stealing its hilarious listening to the excuses. My sister told me a story about a girl that walked out of the store with a few items, she got caught outside the store, then she said 'oh naa i was gonna come back in and pay for it, i was just looking for a friend of mine outside'. What kind of idoit would believe that, i would find that insulting if someone tryed that on me.

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
01 WH Statesman International 5.7L
I've dealt with my share over the years, most of the time they'll be quiet and come to the office, but you get the odd violent one.
Only the supermarket part of woolworths has the you cant do anything policy. If i've seen you put something in your bag and watched you try to walk out your coming for a trip to the office with me :)
As for going to court, never had to do it myself, most of the time its a on the spot fine and walked out the front.
Othertime's they will take them to the cop shop and release or else they get thrown in jail for breach of bail.
Even if it go's to court most judges let them bullshit their way out of it with a donation to charity and an apology leter.

/Shoplifter rant

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I got a pisser of an excuse used at my work.

Basically I used to wok behind a bar. I go off cleaning the area, when I came back to the bar, the security guards mate (guard was at reception) told me that this chick had swiped a bottle of wine from fridge. I went to manager and we checked cameras, yep she had. Manager walks up (angry as ****) and goes off at her, telling her she has to pay and then leave. Well bloody hell, she says she works for the CIA (??? o.0) and that it is her job to steal stuff and see how good security is at places. FFS, you have to be f'ing kidding me. Eventually after manager gives it to her, we get her license, write down her details, made her pay, then booted her stupid arse out of the place.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
generally you would find instore security and point the lady out.

Not all stores have security. I know ours doesnt untill about 10pm.

Also we arent allowed to "accuse" people of stealing. So it makes handling them very difficult. The checkout chicks can check bags etc, but if they find anything they cant say anything directly. Its a whole situation of dancing around the red tape untill either a manager comes down and deals with it or they just walk off because theres nothing we can really do.

My daughter works at Safeway and they catch on average 4 per week and the police are there in about 20 minutes . The latest trend is to use the insulated cooler bags so they can walk out with out setting off the security alarm . Another one is to have someone waiting outside the emergency exit with their car while their partner fills up a couple of bags full of shopping then race out the emergency doors and into the car for a quick getaway.

Also, not everything beeps. Only the high risk items do. Upper range shampoos and conditions like pantene will beep, batteries, I think meat does now.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
legal or not i think anyone thats going to perform a `citzens arrest` should be prepared for a rude if not violent responce.
i think the smarter thing to do would be to write down details that would help the actual police such as physical features ( tatts , scars , anything that stands out) and even rego number if thats attainable , let the police deal with it and avoid what could turn from a petty theft or whatever into an assault, which could be considered self defence too the person who you are trying to citizens arrest.

I have done one citizens arrest. Was not in a supermarket. Come outside to find my car being broken into before work one morning. The idiot did not hear me come out the back door. He ended up hog tied on my front lawn while i waited for police. The guy was an idiot. His head even managed to slam into one of the steel poles on the gate, I also could not help when my fist slipped into his skull a few times while apprehending him.

I have to say, the police that day were hilarious. All the guys injuries happened due to a struggle of getting the guy into the van.

Fairly sure that dude wont try and steal again.

i couldn't be ****ed making a citizens arrest to catch a shoplifter.
imagine how much time and effort you would have to put in going to court as a witness

It generally requires no time in court, just a statement to police.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
I have done one citizens arrest. Was not in a supermarket. Come outside to find my car being broken into before work one morning. The idiot did not hear me come out the back door. He ended up hog tied on my front lawn while i waited for police. The guy was an idiot. His head even managed to slam into one of the steel poles on the gate, I also could not help when my fist slipped into his skull a few times while apprehending him.

I have to say, the police that day were hilarious. All the guys injuries happened due to a struggle of getting the guy into the van.

Unsure if this has been mentioned earlier but this is what some of the shoplifters would get up to to get the "arresting citizen" in trouble.
Shoplifters would place stolen items into thier bag in plain view of staff or even Security. They would start running from staff or security and once out of view they would ditch the stolen items. Once they were detained they would attempt to charge the "citizen" for deprivation of liberty as it is illegal to detain someone for shoplifting unless they have the physical item still on them at the time of arrest.

I have made a fair few citizens arrests in the last 6 years working security throughout Australia.

The key is to be CERTAIN that the person STILL HAS THE STOLEN GOODS ON THEM otherwise you will get charged with deprivation of liberty.
Once you have detained the person you can use REASONABLE FORCE to prevent escape. Force that is necessary and that does not cause death!
Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier!

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive

sounds like you were well equipt for that citizens arrest :D , if i caught someone going at my car id dare say i wouldnt want to be calling the police afterwards though haha