Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

staring at P-platers

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
Yeah I used to get a few stares on my P's... but I was driving a VK with 2.5" sports exhaust, and a pretty decent sound system so it was pretty loud, and I guess people just expect to see a P plater driving that kind of car to do something. The car had no guts though, so even if i wanted to I couldn't be a "hoon" as such.
When I crashed the VK and replaced it with a "92 Mazda 626 I got no looks at all... the car was quiet as anything and definitely not a car to thrash. I loved that car, unfortunately wrote it off.

haha how many cars have u crashed?

10000_fists

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VP com
I get heaps of stares, especialy now with the spool any corner i got round it chirps and squeals.

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
haha how many cars have u crashed?

2.. and crashed the VK 3 times before I decided enough was enough. Shocking record but I'm really not that bad.

VK crash 1: was driving down a main road and this guy pulled out from a side street in front of me. I had no time to stop, hit him. It was his fault, he made the claim.
VK crash 2: was driving down a road with a lane wide enough to be two lanes, but not marked as such. I was driving along in the left hand side of the lane, as if to be in the "left lane" with a few cars ahead of me driving in the "right lane". Reason I was driving on that side was because we were approaching a set of lights where quite often there are people turning right, so I use the left lane (mind you, lanes are marked there at the intersection, just not 100m before the lights) to avoid them. Anyway one of the few cars that was driving ahead of me in the right decided they would pull up into a driveway on the left, cutting across my lane and leaving me no time stop. I hit him an because no lanes were marked at that point I was found to be at fault.
VK crash 3: went out quickly to grab some Hungry Jacks for dinner. On my way home with the food sitting on the passenger seat next to me, as I took a left hand turn out of a T intersection the food began to fall. I stupidly took my eyes off the road to catch the food, and when I looked back up at the road I saw a pole dead ahead. I panicked and slammed my foot down on the accelerator instead of the brakes, and slammed into the pole.

Did some pretty decent damage to it so didn't bother getting it repaired, it wouldn't have been worth it anyway. Cashed in the rego the following day and sold the wreck for $250. It was that following day that I found the replacement car too... the "92 Mazda 626 sedan. F'ing great car!

626 crash: I was using the 626 to tow a big furniture trailer to move house. The trailer was obviously too big for the car, but the guy at the service station where I hired it from said it would definitely be ok... I shouldn't have taken his word for it. Anyway we got through the move ok, it was when I was returning the trailer that this guy unexpectedly stopped at an orange light in front of me. To give you an idea of how unexpected it was, by the time he had come to a complete stop his car was a whole 1 1/2 car lengths past the line, he had stopped basically in the middle of the intersection (big intersection, Chapel St and Princes Hwy). So by the time I realised he had stopped it was too late, and the weight of the trailer pushed me into him as I tried to stop. My fault, and unfortunately the insurance company decided it was a write off.

PRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s utility,and a KENWORTH
Well from the other side,i have been off my "Ps" for many years,i cant remember being stared at a lot,(cant remember a lot full stop)
But i stare at some P platers,P being P for professional drivers, like how many times i have been overtaken by a Professional driver only to be cut off when they turn left 20 feet in front of me,explain why in the hell is it an absolute requirement to be the first into a corner, now i'm not saying that you do these things but unfortunately a lot of P platers do stupid bloody things,and yes so do drivers on full licenses.
Prime example a Professional driver overtook my daughter (on her Ls) this morning on a blind corner coz the coque head didnt have the patients to wait till she had travelled 100 mts to get round the bend,so maybe as mentioned before they are waiting for ya to stuff up.
My advice is to ignore em m8,maybe its just your good looks ???????
Phillip :wax:

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
I used to get more stares when I was on my L's....

I got a hell of a lot more comments as well, from people walking past and people in the car next to me at the lights, I was even proposed to once :p I think she wanted me for the car though haha

Since I been on my P's, driving around in a stock VT Calais... It looks more like an old mans cruiser, I dont even get stopped at booze busses when i'm drove that :p

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeah JBDrifter, it's too easy to write off those Mazdas :p I had a '92 626 sedan before my commodore too, and I think it suffered a number of hits before she was finally totalled up the arse of a white falcon. I was shunted from behind, hit again while parked, had an old lady drive her Ford Festiva ALL the way down the side of the car, and while the other two claims were still being processed, I aquaplaned into the back of a Falcon that hit the square end of a gutter doing 50 and stopped dead on the spot :p

lukas pukas

Bukake, better than cream
Reaction score
Members Ride
RS Liberty/KTM 250sxf
i notice people staring at me when im at the lights etc people just drive past and wont take their eyes off me.. same thing for when im in a shopping center or something i get ALOT of dirty looks from elderly people when im not doing anything wrong..

cause you drive like a fair idiot most of the time man!
auto's dont need to be manual shifted.....

an-D

Reaction score
Website
www.streetwagons.com
Members Ride
Nissan Silvia S15
lol @ stares.
Strangely enough im on a similair boat, always get people staring and even taking photos!
i was eating at nandos and my car parked outside and some dude parks infront of it and whips out his digi cam and took a few snaps! interesting?

btw what area in melb are u in?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I got stared at on p's mainly because of the small town I lived in and we were poor, people stared because they were "WTF how can he afford a car?" Even though it was a busted arse Datsun ute.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
lol gotta love the stares but to make it even better flip em the birds and watch their jaw drop:D :D "OMG that lil P Plater just flipped me the bird how dare they":yeah:
or simply tell them to take a photo and strike a pose :yeah: just make sure you can look after yourself cuz alot of people don't like being told smartass remarks lol.

anyway just think of it as a complement, the way i see it people that stare are just jelous and want whatever you got.:thumbsup: