Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Wheel Glue

boults_4545

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 94
Hi,

I Have a VS wagon that I need to get a rwc for in qld. The rubber of the steering wheel moves when you grab it as if the glue has gone. Has anyone fixed this themselves?

Also the left indicator flashes twice as fast as normal, the right indicator is fine. The light assembley is standard (ie not LEDs). What causes this? How do you fix it?

Cheers.

boults_4545

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 94
thanks Stocky, I'll replace globes & fuses on the weekend and see how it goes.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I've heard of people injecting superglue in with a syringe to tighten it up but I'd figure you'd need something like Araldite or maybe silicone sealant but then they are both too thick to inject. Have also seen where people slit along where its loose , then blow/remove all the crumbly bits of rubber and then inject Sikaflex or similar using the normal cartridge gun and then put a tightly laced steering wheel cover over it....when dry there is no movement and you cannot see the slit as its under the cover.
But going to all this trouble can make a secondhand or new wheel seem attractive.
Re the flashers - as Stocky says, its probable a bulb is gone - just get someone to check them whilst you turn them on. If its a front bulb they are a special type with orange paint on them....rears are normal type.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I've fixed lots of the wheels, I don't know if I should really say how you do it because it's all to easy to stab yourself full of toxic **** :0 but a thinned out slow curing version of the first idea above is the go and it will last about forever

boults_4545

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 94
Thanks Hako & Greenfoam.

I thought of using a syringe but I don't know where you can buy them from? Also I wasn't sure that it would squeeze through the needle. Can you thin it down with some thinners or is there a special 'thin' type if glue on the market?

Cheers,

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I fixed a VQ Caprice wheel using a drill and some bostic glue they use to stick side mouldings on. (got from a car paint supply shop.

Step 1 with the wheel off the car drill a small hole into the back of the wheel with out ripping the outside skin too much.

Step 2 hollow out the foam usinfg the drill - this is the must be careful part - but you need to get to the metal rim and remove as much foam as you can around this rim without poking through.

Step 3 using a silastic gun pump into the hole the bostic (black) glue. This part can get messy so have some small bits of rag on the ready. Gently squeeze the wheel to make sure you have it all filled up.

Step 4 wipe off any excess glue now.

I did this to a wheel that was loose half way around the wheel and put glue into 4 spots.

Works a treat now.

Last edited:

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Thanks Hako & Greenfoam.

I thought of using a syringe but I don't know where you can buy them from? Also I wasn't sure that it would squeeze through the needle. Can you thin it down with some thinners or is there a special 'thin' type if glue on the market?

Cheers,

It seems there are a couple of ways to go. I've done it using the epoxy too.

A syringe is easy to buy from a pharmacy but be prepared for a few questions about what you are going to use it for. Needles are available free from the printer ink refill kits (assuming that you have refilled the ink but they are only about $5-6 if you want to buy one especially). (I suppose you could roll a junkie or dig through the sand at a local beach but with that there's the potential for being stabbed with really toxic ****).

Yep, use 24hr epoxy, it will take longer than 5 minutes to mix, fill the syringe and inject.

There will be little holes left from the needle so inject from the dash side of the wheel.

It may well be easier to remove the wheel first (I didn't bother).

You need to give the adhesive somewhere to go so leave an extra hole for each injection to let the air out and allow the adhesive to flow in behind it. Fill the extra hole in only as the last step.

Keep the adhesive flowing as you withdraw the needle to fill the pin hole created by the needle. If you don't, the plastic/foam will break up starting from that weak spot.

Gently twisting the wheel will help spread the adhesive.

I'm also interested in knowing what can be used to thin epoxy as that would make it much easier.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
i'd guess acetone as the most readily available for epoxy, however at work we use a number of solvents with epoxy resin, N butanol, N butanol acetate, Metheyl Ether Ketone (MEK) Toloune (I think thats the spelling, we call it Tolly most of the time) even Isopropanol alcohol might work (IPA)