Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Wheel Glue

desone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT BERLINA SERIES 1
Glueing Steering Wheel VT VX Commodores

Hi,

I Have a VS wagon that I need to get a rwc for in qld. The rubber of the steering wheel moves when you grab it as if the glue has gone. Has anyone fixed this themselves?

Also the left indicator flashes twice as fast as normal, the right indicator is fine. The light assembley is standard (ie not LEDs). What causes this? How do you fix it?

Cheers.

I had the same problem with my VX Series II Berlina. The guy who did the roadworthy wanted $50 to inject some super-glue in it.

The filling inside the steering wheel is a foam rubber type compound. I have heard of reports of the glue reacting with the foam rubber inside.

I repaired mine this way.

I went to K-Mart and purchased a soccer ball pump for about $6.50. It is like a large hyperdermic needle. The one I chose was a Spalding. Where the brass needle screws in is a small rubber valve with a ball-bearing in the center. I pushed out the ball bearing and used a drill to remove much of the rubber. Take care not to damage the brass thread.

I then filled the body of the pump with Selleys Aquadere wood glue. This is a water based glue which won't dissolve the foam rubber filling. Stay clear from any solvent based glued. I cut the needle part of the pump down to eliminate the outlet on the side of the needle. This reduced the length by about 1cm.

You will find that some gule will run out the handle end of the pump. It's a good idea to have a rag to stop any drips.

I then injected the glue into the steering wheel from behind at about four points.

You have to use a reasonable amount of pressure but be careful not to bend the pump sharft of brass needle. It's a good idea to buy some spare needles. K-Mart don't sell the correct size but Super Cheap do.

If you have applied the correct amount of glue, you will notice that the freeplay will dissappear but the movement will still be there i.e. the wheel cam still be twisted.

It will take about 2-3 hours for the glue to set and should be ok. Just don't try to twist it before the glue sets.

kritter

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais & vs ute
I used superglue in a syringe , you can buy them at a chemist [they may think you are a junkie though] not a problem they cant do anything as it is their job , tell them what you are doing if you want.
Be patient if you do this as the glue doesnt set as fast as normal due to no air available , but it does work fine and mine is still strong as after a year. Kritter

jeffr001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Repairing loose steering wheel grip

The solution is Loctite 480 as it is made specifically for bonding rubber and steel.

Loctite ® 480™ Prism ® Low viscosity, black, rubber toughened, one part, room temperature cure, instant adhesive designed for bonding metal, rubber and selected plastics. Excellent peel, impact and sheer strength. NSF-61 approved. Around $20 for 25ml bottle (April 2011).

Go to your local needle exchange and get a large gauge needle and syringe. Inject glue at a number of positions and then allow to cure. You have to be quick, the working time is around 2 minutes !

Be careful as the glue is black. Clean up with acetone.

Cracka

Banned :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Old Sneakers
You have to remember one thing when thinning an epoxy that you are putting into a near air-tight situation, the solvent has to go somewhere.

Did anyone ever consider that you can heat the part A and B seperatly to around 60 degrees, they will be allot easier to work with and inject this way, also a VET may have a larger needle, like for horses. Areldite will work fine under these circumstances.

I have used a 100% solids epoxy heated as I mentioned above, I thinned it with 1% IMS and injected it using a syringe from an ink refill kit, they key is to ensure you have punctured through the steering wheel and into a vacant cavity. It helps that heavy duty and industrial coatings are what I do.

After injecting the glue, grab the wheel and twist the rubber around (The same way that you no longer want it to twist) this will spread the good stuff.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Those are good points Cracka, heating and injecting into an empty space and then twisting the grip to distribute it....excellent tips.

PeterKiwi52

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro
Steering wheel injection

I know a company based on the Gold Coast.They have a mobile service on the Coast and Brisbane.
They also have a DIY kit which can be sent Australie wide.
Really great product. Go to Car Side Mirror Repair - Side Mirror Glass Replacement | Mirrors 4 Cars. email [email protected] for more info and prices.
Good Luck.

I fixed a VQ Caprice wheel using a drill and some bostic glue they use to stick side mouldings on. (got from a car paint supply shop.

Step 1 with the wheel off the car drill a small hole into the back of the wheel with out ripping the outside skin too much.

Step 2 hollow out the foam usinfg the drill - this is the must be careful part - but you need to get to the metal rim and remove as much foam as you can around this rim without poking through.

Step 3 using a silastic gun pump into the hole the bostic (black) glue. This part can get messy so have some small bits of rag on the ready. Gently squeeze the wheel to make sure you have it all filled up.

Step 4 wipe off any excess glue now.

I did this to a wheel that was loose half way around the wheel and put glue into 4 spots.

Works a treat now.

Jezze

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 VS commodores utes 1 manual, 1 auto
I only recently tried this method on my vs. using silicone and a razor blade.
1. Run the razor blade along the seam of the inside of the steering wheel between the 10 and 2 position.
2. Grab the nozzel on the silicon tube and put as far as possible into the steering wheel.
3. squeeze and slowly move down the cut but dont over fill or it will all start coming out the top.
4. move the silicone around inside by moving the lose rubber back and forth.
5. clean the extra glue off that spills out the top through your cut.
6. tightly tape up the cut and let it rest for 24 hours.
remove the tape once you feel its dry and your steering wheel should be good as new and wont look tacky as the seam is where you cut and then resealed.

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
I have used the drill method think it was a 3mm drill I used, but I used sikaflex and injected it using a syringe, you do not need to inject much and no needle needed

just work the sikaflex around and clean the excess off before it sets, did this about 3years ago when I first got my VS, is still rock solid

I do not think super glue or epoxy would last long since they tend to be brittle

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
In the process of repairing the steering wheel , and I was wondering where can you get a syringe and needle and what size needle hole is best?
I saw that one poster used sikaflex. Which type would you use.
I have a leather wheel so I can hde any holes.
Thanks.