Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock 304, Guide to choosing a camshaft

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Yep I'm running the crow memcal at the moment, but of course would look at getting a custom tune if i were to change comp etc. Pinging might be an issue for me as I live in western nsw and I have to be able to run it on 95RON a lot of the time rather than 98. Would it be okay if i got a nock sensor, or would it just be safer to go to 9.5:1 comp and if so would 9.5:1 still give worthwhile gains?

Also would a starr manifold perhaps a little later down the track be worthwhile for the 4503 cam?

And my last question is basically if i set up the engine right for the cam with more comp, will that help it return a bit better fuel economy, because at the moment its pretty thirsty compared to what i remember my mate standard 5L was!

Cheers

chinabone2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 2000mdl exec vl berlina
Just Asking weather i just upgrade my valve springs as im putting a crane 286 cam in me 304 but was hopeing i wouldnt have to only planing driving the carfor a year or 2 before going for a full rebuild will the standard spring hold up for 2 years of ocasional 6500 rpm will only be driven max twice a week !
Just incase u ask yes i will be shaving the heads down to get some thing nere 10:1 will also be on 98-100 ron fuel has pacemakers and full exaust. Also sorting out a better cai atmo.And on the look out for hi stall and diff gears

chinabone2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 2000mdl exec vl berlina
ok well im going to get shaved as much as possible to get highest comp possible till engine is built

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
Turbo Grinds?
Another great cam for the 304 is (oddly) a cam that's often used in the RB30, the Wade 818B1522C this is another of these turbo type grinds that happen to work well with the banana manifold this in theory should be the fastest cam (but almost identical times to the 5403/5402) we have talked about so far, specs are 222/212 109.5 LSA, the bottom end will be a little stronger than the Crows.

Other "turbo grinds" Wade do are the Wade 1522B1147B very similar performance to the above but 110 lsa and more duration at 224/218 if you wanted a more safe bet you would go with this one.

Hi Greenfoam, i have a vh sl/e and its about to adopt a injected 304, it will be getting a turbo kit made up for it pretty much asap, but before i fit the motor im going too ( if reccomended) fit a small grind cam to work well and that doesnt bleed off boost, it will be a stalled auto of about 3000/3500rpm (t400/manualized) turbo size........undecided and too many choices.

and also combined with the usual roller rockers, valve springs, pushrods

ive got more knowledge for ls1's and ls based 6l's so im unsure what the reccomended specs lsa and lift is of a 5l,
any help and information would be great!

Thanks

FORGIVEME

no substitute for cui
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 S3 VS STATESMAN
hey mate it might hav been coverd i hav a vr stato with a stock 304 (exhaust and pod) what is the bigest cam i can go without a stall?

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Awesome Thread!!
Ton's of info, a really good read....:beer chug:
Sounds like I'm saving for a 5403.......
Do they make these for roller engines?
I've got 196rwkw with stock cam atm, I am planning on shaving the heads, and fitting a new set of Valve Springs as I suspect the originals are a bit soft.......:boohoo:

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Awesome Thread!!
Ton's of info, a really good read....:beer chug:
Sounds like I'm saving for a 5403.......
Do they make these for roller engines?
I've got 196rwkw with stock cam atm, I am planning on shaving the heads, and fitting a new set of Valve Springs as I suspect the originals are a bit soft.......:boohoo:

I think they make a 5403 for VT roler engines, just check their website. I have dual valve springs and yella terra roller rockers in mine and it helps out a lot at high revs, pretty sure the crow website recomends these to be used with the 5403 cam

v8commie

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0 efi
I think they make a 5403 for VT roler engines, just check their website. I have dual valve springs and yella terra roller rockers in mine and it helps out a lot at high revs, pretty sure the crow website recomends these to be used with the 5403 cam

yh and cranes compucam 2020 is standard 195kw and 220kw vt roller motor so id go a

HR-222/339-2S-12 or a HR-226/345-2S-10 imo

sam5l

australias driving future
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5L / vn spak buick powered
can anyone tell me if the crane blue racer cam part no 976812 is a better choice than the crane 286?