Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock 304, Guide to choosing a camshaft

kiwinaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman 5.0l
I am looking for some advice on the camshaft to choose for my VR statesman. I have currently have a CAI and pacemaker headers into a 3" single exhaust system. The heads are away being ported and fitted with 2.05 inlet valves. The injectors are being cleaned and modified to high flow. I have a stage two shift kit, yet to be fitted, and the corvette piston. The car has been lowered with king springs and monroe GT shocks and nolathaned in the rear with the front to be done at some point. PBR 330mm brakes to be fitted to the front shortly.

I want a cam to use now but that will be able to handle a supercharger kit at a later date. I am not looking for great 1/4 times just something streetable but still giving good horses. This is a family car and toy.

Was thinking the crow 4771 or the Wade 963A961A10. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
there are much better cams out there for boost. u'll want something with a wider lsa

kiwinaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman 5.0l
What would you suggest that would be suitable for now and exciting enough in a couple of years when th sc is fitted. I don't really want to do the cam twice if I can help it

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
I am looking for some advice on the camshaft to choose for my VR statesman. I have currently have a CAI and pacemaker headers into a 3" single exhaust system. The heads are away being ported and fitted with 2.05 inlet valves. The injectors are being cleaned and modified to high flow. I have a stage two shift kit, yet to be fitted, and the corvette piston. The car has been lowered with king springs and monroe GT shocks and nolathaned in the rear with the front to be done at some point. PBR 330mm brakes to be fitted to the front shortly.

I want a cam to use now but that will be able to handle a supercharger kit at a later date. I am not looking for great 1/4 times just something streetable but still giving good horses. This is a family car and toy.

Was thinking the crow 4771 or the Wade 963A961A10. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Somthing along the lines of these specs would be good 224/230 @0.50", 114 lobe centres, .565/.581 lift

Using 1.65 rockers.

kiwinaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman 5.0l
Thanks for that just the info I was looking for. I'll try and find something over here in kiwiland but most stuff has to be imported.

Have a great day.

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
No Probs, but you will also need some good valve springs to go with that cam.

VN-855

Reaction score
Members Ride
A VN
hey all i got a crow 4651 in my 5litre vn, anyone have any opinions on this cam? im not real happy with it. does it need extra work like port the heads, bigger valves ?

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
Do you need to adjust the tune for the cams in the first post??

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
hey all i got a crow 4651 in my 5litre vn, anyone have any opinions on this cam? im not real happy with it. does it need extra work like port the heads, bigger valves ?

the heads and manifold are probably at thier limit with that cam. i think the most helpful thing would some compression to start with.

VN-855

Reaction score
Members Ride
A VN
have to look into having the heads done then, one more thing this cam (4651) i was told by crow it had a fairly lumpy idle, sounds pretty standard to me. was crow just trying to get the dollars out of me ? haha