Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The government's thing on LPG convertions

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
does ne1 no how well gas would go on a vk? (originally ran on leaded fuel)

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
What's peoples view on LPG convertions for cars? The government is apparently from what I hear on the news (radio) saying that from right now giving $1000 for new car gas "kits" and $2000 for cars that are having "gas kits" put in.
What do you think?

My Calais has LPG and I find it quite nice having cheap fuel and it's great. But I do have a problem... Duh Duh! If thousands of people are going gas, surely they will sky rocket the price of gas right? This would peeve me off. I say stuff it. I hope no one converts because at around 36 cents minimum, right up to 60 cents and even 80 cents told by my mate in QLD, I'd hate to think what the price will go to. Heck, LPG is a dirty cheap gas that is pratically crap and even sold to Asia (WHICH WE EXPORT) for a couple of cents a litre. I heard in Asia they pay like 3-4 cents a litre for LPG. The price here is rediculous anyway.

Here is an article from 'The Age' about Falcons being on gas. I must note that when my Dad looked for new cars a while back, he would have gone for the Falcon with gas, but the boot space was pathetic.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ford-lpg-sales-explode/2006/08/15/1155407789247.html

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
How I see it, the price of gas will go up a little, and the price of petrol will come down slightly. It won't skyrocket though, as there won't be a massive change in the number of people getting it done.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
when i first started work in the servo gas was about 22cpl. now it gets up around 60cpl, yet they say it wont climb. its steadily been getting more expensive, and for that reason i wouldnt be rushing out to get it done (mind you my commy is already done).
a tax cut on petrol would be better for us than flogging away getting the gas on, only to risk it getting more expensive.
when i have the cash to tidy up an old datsun ute or something im switching to bio-diesel for my work car.

frenzal_tom

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS2 Berlina
yeh im looking into it will b cool
gas wont sky rocket we have **** loads of this stuff compared to petrol which will only go up and up

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
i was under the impresssion that the gas we use is a by-product of petrol production. if we dont have the petrol we dont have the gas.....

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
The price of LPG, like any product is driven by demand, if more people start using LPG the price will go up. When I was looking at converting my car to LPG in 1998 it was 22cpl and I bought a second hand system, before I got it installed the price shot up so I didnt go thru with it. LPG, starting in 2011 will be taxed 2.5cpl per year until it reaches 12.5cpl, so the govt will make any money back that they give out now in excise in the future.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
Doesnt gas burn roughly twice as fast as petrol anyway? <- Just what i've heard, im not saying 'its a fact'. You would still be paying less but soon as price goes up you'll end up paying around the same amount anyway. Not that ive taken that much notice but unlike petrol dont Gas prices just keep getting higher, whereas petrol fluctuates (which is annoying, but at least gives people a chance to get it "cheap"). Like i said i havent really payed attention to it but it just seems that way now that i think about it.
Plus I reckon a car should be either straight petrol or straight gas. I didnt (and still dont) want duel fuel but i'd have a straight gas (apparently performs better than petrol 'cause the gas burns faster)

Last edited:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
well one thing the goverment didnt realise was that there is a world shortage of gas tanks due to there being no metal to make them.....and where do you think the $2000 or $1000 rebate comes from..... straight out of the rising gas price so your really not going to be saving much money......also not all cars can be run on gas without changing engine internals, holden stuffed up with the ecotec V6 on gas from factory, expect about 140,000-180,000 out of a factory engine setup form vt-vy. valve stem seal life almost halves when run on gas because it burns alot hotter.

so add the cost of the conversion up together with the headwork that could need to be done and that rebate wont really get you very far at all........