Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Random Thread

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
On Brisbane's Gateway bridge in 2002, there was still a basket that you threw the coins in.
I remember it well because I had a habit of throwing the coins in and letting the vehicle roll until the boom came up, but one particular day in 2002 I forgot I had pipe on the ute racks and of course when the boom came up it was between the bonnet and the pipe so it got caught under the pipe, and I propped.

Well all hell broke loose with old mate behind on the horn and old mate in the booth going into complete panic mode.
So I started to reverse which panicked old mate behind me to the point he and the bloke behind him were both now on the horn
with the booth operator jumping out to try and stop more traffic piling up, so I kept reversing with horns going until the boom popped out from under the pipes with a resounding booing, and I drove off..

I still do it today at shopping centres with the boom almost touching the windscreen until it comes up.
Just my bit of old fart fun.

The gateway bridge is the one that caught me out......And of course the place I have to leave the motorway is the next exit

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Get a visa/mastercard debit card.

I could but at the time I went through I didn't know they'd changed the system....

I also don't see why I should if it is only going to be used for that....Kind of pointless

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
The tolls here in NZ are paid online, no toll booths at all, just cameras.

The last time I remember coins and toll booths was in the US circa 2001, haven't been there since.

The Auckland harbour bridge used to have 20 cent toll each way for cars (2 shillings when I was a kid, before we went decimal) hand collected by males in a booth who would then raise the barrier arm. The toll was extended for several years longer than originally proposed to pay for the 2x two-lane Nippon Clip-on extensions hung off each side.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The Auckland harbour bridge used to have 20 cent toll each way for cars (2 shillings when I was a kid, before we went decimal) hand collected by males in a booth who would then raise the barrier arm. The toll was extended for several years longer than originally proposed to pay for the 2x two-lane Nippon Clip-on extensions hung off each side.

That's well before my time :)

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I also remember a story of an ex Counselor here who had racked up something like $36,000 in tolls and simply kept telling the toll operator to let him know where he could pay in cash and he would be happy to do so to clear the debt.
Don't know what ever happened to that one.
There was also someone in Brisbane who refused to pay tolls. He claimed that all roads should be toll free and he was quite happy to go to court over the issue. I haven't heard what the outcome was on that.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
At one point in Sydney on the M4 you had to use a token ( like a bigger USB STICK) that you had to insert in a slot at the booth. You had to stop at exactly the right spot so you could reach out to the slot.

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
The toll on the Logan highway was originally put there to recoup the cost of building the road, Govt said once they had the money back they would remove the toll.
Guessing the road must be paid for by now, But the toll is still there.

I go over the gateway bridge for work each day, Sometimes have to use the airport link tunnel if traffic is really bad.
$5.45 to go over the bridge.
$5.03 for a short trip through the tunnel

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Toll roads are a complete scam. everyone knows that. Governments build them using tax payer money, then charge people to use it. Finally, they're sold off to the private sector who subsequently charge motorists to "maintain them".

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Toll roads are a complete scam. everyone knows that. Governments build them using tax payer money, then charge people to use it. Finally, they're sold off to the private sector who subsequently charge motorists to "maintain them".
I thought to have a toll road, the private sector had to invest funds (even if in part) and that's why they got to charge a toll because a portion of the road is privately owned.