Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Random Thread

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I will say that the one good thing about Melbourne tolls were the e-tags. Years ago when I was in Sydney you had to throw your $2 into the basket. Would've been the M5 because Liverpool was a rarely new suburb We're taking 1995 here & I'm sure things have changed since then

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Was watching this last night and thought, people on here are going to have a heart attack...Not torquing engine parts up

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I will say that the one good thing about Melbourne tolls were the e-tags. Years ago when I was in Sydney you had to throw your $2 into the basket. Would've been the M5 because Liverpool was a rarely new suburb We're taking 1995 here & I'm sure things have changed since then
They are all cashless now. Have been for probably 15 - 20 years. No more baskets. I used to drive on one of the toll roads so often I got to know one of the guys who worked in the booth, three seconds at a time LoL.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
They are all cashless now. Have been for probably 15 - 20 years. No more baskets. I used to drive on one of the toll roads so often I got to know one of the guys who worked in the booth, three seconds at a time LoL.

I went to QLD about 7 years ago and the toll road I go down to get to my mum's didn't have an attendant, like it had 2 years prior.

Not having any sort of credit cards, or this etag, I was stuffed...Drove straight through.

I rang the following day to organise the toll (a whopping $2.50 or alikes), they asked for credit card details....

Told them I didn't have one....To pay it by a money order, it would have cost me $2.50 for the order, 50c for the stamp + the toll...Fortunately my mum had a credit card.

Talk about a head truck.....

Bring back some sort of basket you can throw some coins in, for those that don't believe in credit cards and aren't from that state

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I used to follow that channel until all he started doing was baiting people with his frivolous customer warranty claims

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I went to QLD about 7 years ago and the toll road I go down to get to my mum's didn't have an attendant, like it had 2 years prior.

Not having any sort of credit cards, or this etag, I was stuffed...Drove straight through.

I rang the following day to organise the toll (a whopping $2.50 or alikes), they asked for credit card details....

Told them I didn't have one....To pay it by a money order, it would have cost me $2.50 for the order, 50c for the stamp + the toll...Fortunately my mum had a credit card.

Talk about a head truck.....

Bring back some sort of basket you can throw some coins in, for those that don't believe in credit cards and aren't from that state
Get a visa/mastercard debit card.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I will say that the one good thing about Melbourne tolls were the e-tags. Years ago when I was in Sydney you had to throw your $2 into the baske
Where in Victoria would that have been I'm 50. I don't ever remember putting coins in any toll way since I had a licence, I was a kid when that use to happen at the west-gate bridge when I was 21, I worked at the bridge there were no tolls there then. The city link always had etags no cash from day 1

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The tolls here in NZ are paid online, no toll booths at all, just cameras.

The last time I remember coins and toll booths was in the US circa 2001, haven't been there since.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
On Brisbane's Gateway bridge in 2002, there was still a basket that you threw the coins in.
I remember it well because I had a habit of throwing the coins in and letting the vehicle roll until the boom came up, but one particular day in 2002 I forgot I had pipe on the ute racks and of course when the boom came up it was between the bonnet and the pipe so it got caught under the pipe, and I propped.

Well all hell broke loose with old mate behind on the horn and old mate in the booth going into complete panic mode.
So I started to reverse which panicked old mate behind me to the point he and the bloke behind him were both now on the horn
with the booth operator jumping out to try and stop more traffic piling up, so I kept reversing with horns going until the boom popped out from under the pipes with a resounding booing, and I drove off..

I still do it today at shopping centres with the boom almost touching the windscreen until it comes up.
Just my bit of old fart fun.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I also remember a story of an ex Counselor here who had racked up something like $36,000 in tolls and simply kept telling the toll operator to let him know where he could pay in cash and he would be happy to do so to clear the debt.
Don't know what ever happened to that one.