Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That’s fair enough.

I tend to run numbers on my household costs (yep, I have an excel spreadsheet!). I run scenarios from time to time planning out where my next bang-for-bucks spend lies. As part of that I run the idea of installing a battery. So far, I just haven’t been able to make the economics of a (house) battery work financially. It was close to borderline the last time I checked, but not ‘there’ economically. It might work environmentally, but I’m not flushed with money, so I try the spend carefully and wisely as possible.

So, briefly, my thinking has been along the following lines… I could go out and buy a PowerWall 2 for about $15,000 and it'll give me 13 kWh of storage. Much as you have pointed out, it would help, but it wouldn’t really run my household overnight if any major energy drains are happening (heating, cooling, cooking). However, If I purchased an EV at $60,000 and it has a 60 kWh battery (slightly better bangs-for-bucks kWh per $ than a Power Wall 2), I have four times the capacity - so 8 hours instead of ‘2 hours’), plus I have a car that can be used as a second car. Yes, I know it’s not exactly comparing apples with apples.

But look at it from a different angle. Perhaps my wife needs a new car (call it $25,000) and I was for some reason really wanting a PowerWall 2 (call it $15,000), then buying that $60,000 EV is only a $20,000 stretch above the cost of those two combined - and I get four times the storage. That amount of storage is getting in to the ‘run the house’ category if there is a power outage (which is rare). But more importantly, I have a usable second car that costs minimal to run, and a ‘house battery’ that has some serious usable capacity.
yeah, I get what you are saying but EV is for driving and a home battery is for home life and the two are fundamentally contradictory. In any case, I’d expect that newer affordable EVs will come with smaller batteries which will pooch screw such strategies (other than emergencies home power during a rare distribution outage at a loss of driving untill charged).

Regardless of the user economics, the planet saving strategies are not related to economics because govco fiddles with the numbers to push a strategy. Govco policies are the ones that have made it seem that “dirty” power generation is bad and pushed these plants to be shut down before their times which makes them so expensive as the companies try to squeeze as much out of their current infrastructure to pay for the write offs while building the new. All this make solar, wind, etc seem more cost effective… it’s like a shell game of sorts…

As is, I have trouble forgetting the environmental fuckwits that stops the Gordon-below-Franklin Dam project in Tasmania and now they want to turn off our power… Fcuk the greenies…

Regardless of what happens globally, we 25 million individuals are less than a stomach rumble compared to the bugger nations that are closer to the long fart of global warming (if I continue that analogy)… And as such we won’t solve a thing environmentally or economically…

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
From what I've heard it's about 200km. I couldn't even drive to work and back on one charge on the days I work up the coast.

Well rather then guessing and make bad assumptions try googling for some actual facts.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
ICE vehicles (as we know them) days are numbered, not if but when. I'm not saying it's going to happen today or tomorrow or even next year but it will happen and I don't know how old you are are but we will see it within a generation or 2.

I'll also quite happily say that EV's as we know them now won't be the only solution or option.
I agree, but some are saying it will happen within 30 years. I'd love to know what solution these experts have for travellers, who need to drive 10hrs in a day, with 1000s pulling 1800kg caravans? EV tech would need to come a long, long way before this can happen.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, I get what you are saying but EV is for driving and a home battery is for home life and the two are fundamentally contradictory. In any case, I’d expect that newer affordable EVs will come with smaller batteries which will pooch screw such strategies (other than emergencies home power during a rare distribution outage).

Regardless of the user economics, planet saving strategies are not related because govco fiddles with the numbers to push a strategy. Govco policies are the ones that have made it seem that “dirty” power generation is bad and pushed these plants to be shut down before their times which makes them so expensive as the companies try to squeeze as much out of their current infrastructure to pay for the write offs while building the new. All this make solar, wind, etc seem more cost effective… it’s like a shell game of sorts…

As is, I have trouble forgetting the environmental fuckwits that stops the Gordon-below-Franklin Dam project in Tasmania and now they want to turn off our power… Fcuk the greenies…

Regardless of what happens globally, we 25 million individuals are less than a stomach rumble compared to the bugger nations that are closer to the long fart of global warming (if I continue that analogy)… And as such we won’t solve a thing environmentally or economically…

Using EV's as a battery for the house system would only be to supplement peak load demand on the grid. You wouldn't be burning all your capacity to cook your bloody roast every night.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I spoke to those who considered getting one bur the cost verses mileage was no good for a trip to Hobart and back. Long range EVs are significantly more expensive than $40k.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If you're so smart why don't you post a link?

Do I need to spoon feed you like I do a certain other member on the forum? You are smart enough to figure it out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do I need to spoon feed you like I do a certain other member on the forum? You are smart enough to figure it out.
Ive posted a reply above

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride