Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Try some short sections of conduit. Split the conduit lengthwise and clip over the cable. Pick a diameter so it’s a loose fit over the cable and can rotate. Bird lands on it, grips it, but then falls over.

I haven’t tried it, but you did ask for ideas.
Yep best idea so far.

I use the same thing for stopping possums from using the power cable for entry onto the roof.
In my case I only need about 600mm long of 90mm pvc and as above, slot it so it will clip over the cable, but I had to drill 2 holes in it on one end so I could zip tie it to the cable cause peter, or maybe pauline the possum, would just push it along the cable.

You can only do this if
(A) you have a single twisted cable which is insulated and
(B) If you can get to the cable to fit the pvc

If in doubt use a licensed electrician.
But good luck with that cause I could not find an electrician willing to do it cause possums are protected.
Ended up doing it myself cause FFS I want to send them elsewhere, I don't want to murder em.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Yep best idea so far.

I use the same thing for stopping possums from using the power cable for entry onto the roof.
In my case I only need about 600mm long of 90mm pvc and as above, slot it so it will clip over the cable, but I had to drill 2 holes in it on one end so I could zip tie it to the cable cause peter, or maybe pauline the possum, would just push it along the cable.

You can only do this if
(A) you have a single twisted cable which is insulated and
(B) If you can get to the cable to fit the pvc

If in doubt use a licensed electrician.
But good luck with that cause I could not find an electrician willing to do it cause possums are protected.
Ended up doing it myself cause FFS I want to send them elsewhere, I don't want to murder em.
It's like this. Is this a single twisted insulated cable?

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpeg
    IMG_0216.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0217.jpeg
    IMG_0217.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 32

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
Okay, so I've mentioned before about the amount of bird sh1t the wife’s VF cops whilst parked in our driveway. The problem is the power cable, which runs directly over where she has to park it. (no, there are no other options but this particular spot.)
I've looked into things that may possibly be a deterrent but haven't been convinced. I was thinking about hanging things over the power line at intervals, like the wife’s bloomers, which may stop the birds from perching there, but for obvious reasons such as electrocuting myself, I'm reluctant.

Does anybody have any ideas or thoughts? They would be appreciated.:)

Get one of those plastic owls and put it somewhere high where the birds will see it, That should scare them off

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’d expect the electricity authority could have something to say about homeowners modifying their power lead in line since it’s their property.

Having said that, I’ve seen people install closely spaced small zip ties on stuff birds perch on. The length left pointing up on the zip tie depends on the size of the bird that normally perches on such things.

Seen zip ties on TV antennas and such and it’s effective but I’ve not seen it on lead in power cables coming from the street’s power poles (may be because of liability should something go wrong and they try and blame the homeowner)…

PS: fake owls do nothing long term and the birds quickly work out they are toys :p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67