Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tightening original bolts to specified Nm's

RazzleDazzle

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VX Commodore
I'm about to replace the brake pads, something I normally have a brake place do, anyway when tighten bolts is it best to tighten them exactly as the Max Ellergy specifies its just that I've heard some guys say to tighten them less than the recommendations.
Let's say the specification says 85Nm then is it best to tighten to 85 or maybe 80 or somewhere between 80 and 85 remembering this is original used nuts and bolts.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There's a couple of points to consider here.

1. If the bolts are "re-usable" types, why wouldn't you tension them to factory specs? IIRC, the bolts used in the brakes are generally re-usable types.

2. If they are designed to be tensioned only once because they stretch under tension, replace them. The manual will indicate which bolts should not be re-tensioned.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Personally, I tighten them up with a socket 3/8 drive socket and ratchet, by hitting the ratchet with the palm of my hand 3 or 4 times, once the bolt is all the way in....I have never ever used a tension wrench on them, nor a hammer and never had a customer brakes or my own brakes have a bolt come out using this method.....Then again, I might have been lucky too, with the thousands I have done this way too.

IMA, I can't recall ever seeing new bolts come with new brake pads, which indicates that the original bolts are suitable to be reused over and over again

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
IMA, I can't recall ever seeing new bolts come with new brake pads, which indicates that the original bolts are suitable to be reused over and over again

Usually genuine Holden pad kits will come with new bolts. But aftermarket wont. Meaning it's not necessary to replace. Just do them up until they're tight, or put some threadlocker on if you're particularly worried about your tightening ability.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon

Please let the users here know where you work so they know to steer clear...

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i just undo the bottom little bolt and flip the caliper up to do a pad change if you are removing the rotor than you need to undo the two 19mm bracket bolts which i do torque to what it says in the manual using my torque wrenches and recheck at about 1000ks

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Please let the users here know where you work so they know to steer clear...

So let me know, what brand brake pads come with new bolts for the caliper, so I can then start buying them for customers and keep them all happy....

Sabbath has mentioned genuine as being one brand and we all know when ordering genuine means extra $$$ (and some customers that have various ways of dealing with the shock associated with it....And generally that shock isn't pleasent for the poor prick behind the counter).....So I wait to hear the other brands...

I have struck aftermarket brake pads, that come with bolts supplied, which indicates they should be changed with the brake pads change. However, this hasn't been with Commodores, which is why I said, it indicates they can be reused over and over again.

That reminds me, I'd better go out hand buy 3 new sets of caliper bolts just to keep you happy.....2 sets are over 40 years old and the 3rd about 20.....They are the 3 cars of my own, that I have recently done brake pad changes on

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
It was a comment that since the pads don't come with new bolts they don't need replacing, that assertion is just plain wrong.

I purchased a set of bushes for the rear of my car, the ones that mount the rear sub frame to the car, they didn't come with new bolts but they are most definitely TTY so need replacing, but by your logic because they weren't supplied with the bushes they actually don't need replacing.

Read the actual comment that I have quoted from you, the last 15 words, as I have concerns over your work if that is the attitude you take.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It was a comment that since the pads don't come with new bolts they don't need replacing, that assertion is just plain wrong.

I purchased a set of bushes for the rear of my car, the ones that mount the rear sub frame to the car, they didn't come with new bolts but they are most definitely TTY so need replacing, but by your logic because they weren't supplied with the bushes they actually don't need replacing.

Read the actual comment that I have quoted from you, the last 15 words, as I have concerns over your work if that is the attitude you take.

You can have these concerns if you wish. I can only mention that I have never had an issue re-using caliper bolts on Commodores, when I have changed brake pads...And I have lost count on how many I have done. I have struck other brand cars, that require the caliper bolts to replaced everytime they are undone...

IMA, should a failure occur, due to these bolts not being replaced and there is necessity for them to be replaced, I suspect I'd find myself fronting a judge and being out of circulation for a few years. I know that's not much comfort but personally I don't fancy having a roomie that doesn't mind what sex the person is, to satisfy his sexual desires and I couldn't live knowing I possibly killed someone through my neglience