Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ultimate alloytec failure...

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
To the "is it the driver" comments.
I just happen to have friends with both a vz sv6, and a ve sidi sv6.
I ran them both last night, and it didn't matter whether it was from standstill or not, even rolling from 60 onwards in 2nd, I couldnt beat the sidi, and I was a dead heat on the (standard) vz. Accelerating from 60 onwards isnt hard it's got nothing to do with driver skill... Plus, I've done the quarter before all this, so I'm only competing against myself...

As to why it cost so much, the clutch and cpr6 were the big costs, cpr6 $1600 and clutch and flywheel $3500 installed. New plugs, coils 02 sensors and injectors was around $1800 including labour. 2 separate vcm tunes net to around $1200 (retune was cheaper). Insulators, CAI, catback, underdrive pulley... They all add up.

I'm going back to the tuner today, I Don't understand how this is possible...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
To all who own vz commodores with alloytecs.

Sv6 or not, before you spend any hard-earned dollars on your car, hear me out.

You are throwing your money at a brick wall.

Unless you're forking out 12k plus on a turbo kit (maybe a supercharger if you swing that way), the things are a waste of time modifying.

No need to read any further. Didn't even need to read this far to know such things. I'd lump fi for them into the category of a very expensive way to go fast* too.

Reaper

*fast = various definitions there of.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
L67 is where its at.

But unfortunately you cant put one of those in a vz.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
To the "is it the driver" comments.
I just happen to have friends with both a vz sv6, and a ve sidi sv6.
I ran them both last night, and it didn't matter whether it was from standstill or not, even rolling from 60 onwards in 2nd, I couldnt beat the sidi, and I was a dead heat on the (standard) vz. Accelerating from 60 onwards isnt hard it's got nothing to do with driver skill... Plus, I've done the quarter before all this, so I'm only competing against myself...

As to why it cost so much, the clutch and cpr6 were the big costs, cpr6 $1600 and clutch and flywheel $3500 installed. New plugs, coils 02 sensors and injectors was around $1800 including labour. 2 separate vcm tunes net to around $1200 (retune was cheaper). Insulators, CAI, catback, underdrive pulley... They all add up.

I'm going back to the tuner today, I Don't understand how this is possible...

chances are you cant beat the Sidi because standard, its a much faster car then yours, most could run around 14.3 standard. This would more then likely be why your getting your ass punched by an Sidi. Oh and just so you know, i have a friend that knows someone that has a friend that would let me drive the Bentley that would run a 13, so it makes my car ****.

As for your mods.. I'm for ever reading and hearing about people bolting on mace insulators and expecting to drop to a 13 seconds pass. The CPR6 is a very expensive bang for buck 'mod' doller for kw. $1600 for 16kw, thats $100 per KW. And tbh, you would be lucky to actually get 16kw. More fool you for not properly looking into things. Your clutch costing $3500 wont make your car really any faster, it may tighten up your launches and gear changes a little bit. But once again most of that will be undone by driver error or perhaps a poor setup.

As for the injectors coils ets... They are a peformance upgrade.. you wont see any power from them.

And finally your CAI, Cat Back and other mods. Where do i start? Cat back wont find you much power, neither will a CAI, and the underdriven pulley...

So basically you have thrown a lot of money into a lot of crap, the clutch was the best of your choices, but i think you paid a little too much for it. As for your tuner... give him a kick in the ass, cuz he hasnt given you one yet..

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Stepping back in time a bit arent you? I'd prefer an Sidi over an L67

I am unaware of the thread you're reading. But last i read he owned an Alloytec.

So ill say it again. L67 is where it's at.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
As impulsive said, supercharge that thing.

I never said that... in fact i say quite the opposite, Supercharging will net you the best bang for buck with an ok time at the end, however its still very expensive, rapidly wears your engine and ends up with quite a hefty bill off dissappointment